Saxophone Forum

by saxtribute
(11 posts)
17 years ago

Mouthpieces

I'm looking for a good tenor jazz mouthpiece with a bright sound that plays with control. Being only a high schooler, I don't want to spend more that $300. I have narrowed my choices down to Otto Link, SR Tech, Peter Ponzol, Morgan, Jody Jazz, and Fred Rast. Which of these is a good jazz piece?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnjazz
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Re: Mouthpieces

Saxtribute, I have an Otto Link that has been worked on by Paul "Doc" Tenney. If you look on the Saxquest website you will find a description of what modifications Doc Tenney makes to the standard Link mouthpiece. Let me know if you need any further info. I have photos if you want to check them out. Thanks, [email protected]

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Tribute- You should definitely reed about baffles, chambers and tip openings at www.mouthpieceheaven.com Then for advice on what would suit you, I would refer you to Patrick Springer at www.springermpc.com. He makes a wonderful hand finished mouthpiece for half your maximum, and will tell you what model and etc. is right for you thru an e-mail link on his website. Ralph Morgan, Fred Rast and Jody Espina make quality pieces as well. Today's production Links, Meyers, Berg Larsens and etc. do not have the hand finished touch - as was supplied to your first respondent by Doc Tenney. You should go to a large music store and see if you can try a bunch of mouthpieces. Try to learn what you need to look for in a baffle - this is as important as tip opening. - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

17 years ago

Of the ones you list, I would recommend the Ponzol - the M1 being what I would call "bright enough" and the M2 being very bright - could be too bright depending on the ensemble and repertoire.

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
        (138 posts)

17 years ago

I'm surprised that meyer is not on your list. I play on a metal meyer (nickel plated) 8J and it plays with amazing consistency and it has a fabulous tone. The subtone comes out nice and clean, not with a spitty tone that some mouthpieces tend to have. Theharmonics also play like "butta", Not to mention the screaming altissimo I can play. The 8J has about a .110 tip opening and I it can play extremely bright and it can also play at a dark and subdued style. When I first got this moutpiece it took me a little time to find reeds that worked and I landed on vandoren javas. I also play on a Canonnbal Big Bell stone Series (Raven) saxophone, my point being that some moutpieces vary quite a lot on the type of saxophone. However, I love this piece so you should most definitely try it out. One thing though, the ligature that comes with it is not the greatest so you might want to get a different lig. Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post