Saxophone Forum

by Altofuzz
(1 post)
17 years ago

Saxaphone Ligatures

Hullo :) I play alto saxaphone at my high school, and I would really like to buy a new ligature, but don't know enough to know which ones are the best. Last year I bought a selmer C* mouthpiece which is what I currently use. My teacher gave me a list of recommendations: Vandoren Optimum, Louis Ultimate Ligature, Eddie Daniels II, and Bay. Do you have any suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Saxaphone Ligatures

Your best bet is to go and try them out and see what you like the best . . . take another player with you (whose opinion you trust) to make honest comments on what he/she hears. Bring some kind of recording device too so you can listen back. As far as what to pick, there's plenty out there to try . . . it all depends on what direction you want to go . . . If you're looking for a very dark sound, then a Rovner might be the way to go . . . personally, I'm not a fan of Rovners because they deaden the vibrations of the mouthpiece too much. My personal preference is the Winslow (there are many ways you can set it up), but sadly they're not in production anymore. The Francois Louis is a good vibrant ligature, built upon the 2-rail concept of the Bonade, but some players have had issues with its stability when tuning the horn. The Brancher is an interesting setup for vibrancy, as it makes very little contact with the mouthpiece . . . it has a 2-rail reed contact as well. The Vandoren Optimum has 3 different tone plates to choose from. It's a good stable ligature. Some players favor the Olegature, which is a metal version of the Rovner. It gets a nice focused sound, however my issue with it is that it tends to be a compressed sound, meaning it cuts out the lower and higher frequencies of your sound. Since you're playing a C*, I'm assuming you're more of a legit player . . . one option would be the BG Tradition. There are a number of classical cats who like those. Ishimori has come up with some new ones . . . I recently picked up an Ishimori Wood Stone for one mouthpiece . . . it had a nice focused centered tone, however it added a little back pressure to my setup. I vacillate between that and a traditional Selmer metal on that mouthpiece. The differences can be very subtle and it may take you years to be able to hone in on those subtleties, but realize that the two ends of the spectrum are vibrance and control: the more control the ligature has, the less vibrance your sound will have; conversely the more vibrance your liature gives your sound, the less control your setup will have . . . ultimately it all depends on what you want for your playing. Don't settle on one brand just because someone on this board tells you to do it . . . it may be the wrong match for you. Do your own hands-on research and find out what works best for you. Best of luck!

Reply To Post

2. by Linky
    (26 posts)

17 years ago

Rovner light or dark. Ligatures are gimmicks. It works the best when it holds the ready steady with allowing it maximize vibration. So why would you go and put a beefy lig on with a vibration absorbing metal plate on etc. etc. They're ridiculously expensive for an unnecessary thing as well. Rovners are cheap and work.

Reply To Post

3. by Saxyboy
    (52 posts)

17 years ago

Fuzz- What's wrong with the Selmer ligature that should have come with that mouthpiece? I have heard that ligatures can make a difference, but I doubt if I'm good enough to tell that difference and I've been taking money for playing for more than a decade.

Reply To Post

4. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

17 years ago

If a mouthpiece is set up well with a nice flat table, the ligature being used makes little difference to most players.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

17 years ago

I agree- if it holds the reed on, it's doing its job. Save your money for more important things, like a bb gun for dealing with the sound man.

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

BB guns are for drummers. Sound men are behind glass too thick for a BB - LOL. Incidently - spell it saxophone - it looks better. I agree about ligatures - at least for the most part. Getting one that fits right is my biggest bitch. Any of them that fit down over the mouthpiece to the proper point and hold the reed flat are great. - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

17 years ago

I use a Francois Louis Ultimate Ligature, and it really made a difference. My sound got bigger. The ligatures made with leather or plastic that tighten around the mouthpiece eventually stretch and wear out after so many uses. The design of the Francois Louis is such that it holds the reed tight on the mouthpiece, but most of the metal is off the surface of the mouthpiece. My last sax teacher, Tim Price suggested it to me, and I got it from Roberto's in NYC. It really did make a difference.

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

Tim Price is a great player=) The only ting I don't like about the Francois Louis is that if I try to fix tuning, the ligature usually moves and causes problems...

Reply To Post AIM

3. by bigred
          (43 posts)

17 years ago

hahaha you guys are funny. Buying ligatures are highly over rated. They don't make much difference in your sound, and most guys just use stock ligs. It's not that big a deal. Spend your money on a mouthpiece that is amazing (florida link's, or tone master links)

Reply To Post

4. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

17 years ago

GOOD and inexpensive will last a lifetime get a DANIEL BONADE do not get the reversed version these are not good for sax,,,, reeds need the screws on the bottom style so when tightening it must tighten towards the centre of the reed not away from it all those reversed ligs increase upper and cut off fundamental frequencies,,,also a lig MUST NOT TOIUCH THE EDGES OF THE REED these must be free,, the lig needs to just touch the reeds centre top to bottom not across !

Reply To Post

5. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

17 years ago

I'll second the Bonade- it does the job really well.

Reply To Post