Saxophone Forum

by alwaysatech
(3 posts)
17 years ago

reeds and mouthpiece

hello to all-- i just purchased a conn shooting star used, from somewhere in the early 60's. sax mom sugguested that i get either a lavoz or rico softish type reed (got that, thank you!). now i have a question about mouthpieces, i saw in previous posts that mouthpieces are pretty individual llike a pair of shoes. got that. but... do all reeds fit all mouthpieces? if not, i purchased lavoz soft reeds, so i need to know if there is something that specificially goes with that, keeping in mind that i am a total beginnner, and have yet to even put this thing together. i am still gathering suppies. thanks in advance to all who respond! cindy

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by bleeding gums
    (18 posts)

17 years ago

Re: reeds and mouthpiece

Short answer to your question: any alto reed will fit any alto mp, same for sop. tenor, and bari. On some of the narower jazz pieces I find there can be some overlap on the reeds part but nothing that will hinder the sound (just cuts up the lips a bit). here is a link to some comments I made on mouthpieces: www.saxquest.com/forumThreadView.asp?ForumUID=8&ThreadUID=10923&PostUID=10004255#10004255 and here is one about reed prep: www.saxquest.com/forumThreadView.asp?ForumUID=9&ThreadUID=10792 Some people buy different reeds depending on whether they are playing jazz or legit, I just shave them to a different thickness. It's something that takes practice but I think it makes a big difference in tone production.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Always- Hurry up and find a private instructor. Even if you only have money for a few lessons, these will be invaluable. Local schools may help with a referral - or there is a listing here of some private teachers. I know I never could have done well on the tenor sax without the help of the late and wonderful Woody Wood. It's so important to start off right - I would say do nothing until you are with your teacher. The bigger the tip opening on the mouthpiece, the softer the reed can be. A real hard one with an open piece takes some chops! - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by alwaysatech
      (3 posts)

17 years ago

i have been looking into taking a few lessons. because, i am sure that you can understand, i have many questions. i can make noise though, not that miserable squeek, but a strong true tone. that makes me feel pretty good. thanks for the info, cindy

Reply To Post