Saxophone Forum

by dcmcleod
(3 posts)
17 years ago

Baritone Sax Starting point?

I'm intrested in learning sax and perfer the sound of the Baritone. My favorite Baritone players are Gerry Mulligan, Nick Brignola and Serge Chaloff. I also enjoy the playing of Johnny Hodges and Gene Ammons. Where to start? I have been pricing Baritone Saxes and wow! The one's that I have found for under a thousand are the Chinese made and they seem to get a poor rating from the real players. My question I guess is I never plan to playout this is only for my own enjoyment, But how will it be enjoyable if I'm not playing correctly? As in people saying that most of the inexpensive saxes can't be played right out of the case? So as I'm soully blowing a way driving my nieghbors crazy? Maybe the sax can't even play the note? So what is recommended for an unexperienced no high school band playin' fool who thinks the sax is a cool instrument? Get a couple of cheap ones for wall hangings? I do like those Black Nickel plated ones.:) Thanks for reading my rambling, but have enjoyed the discussions I have read so far!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Baritone Sax Starting point?

I would consult with the local high school or junior high band director. If they are planning to update a bari sax, they may sell you the current one for its trade-in value. That horn would likely need some adjustment, but you would probably not be as hard on it as young students can be, so it could work out for you.

Reply To Post

2. by felipesaxo
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Re: Baritone Sax Starting point?

My solution to the problem was an Amati bought at wwbw. So far so good, but be aware that taming a new horn can take at least 3 months of practicing long notes,, until the instrument played as easy as my other (more expensive) saxes. I guess had I bought a Yamaha, things would have been easier, but now I am very happy with this beast.

Reply To Post