Saxophone Forum

by saxmanjim
(6 posts)
17 years ago

What difference does a sax neck make?

I' a freshman in high school and I've been playing sax for 6 years. What do good alto sax necks allow you to do and why are some octave openings underslung?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Azsax
    (47 posts)

17 years ago

Re: What difference does a sax neck make?

good necks affect the total of your horn. go try as many as possible. many discrimating players do not play on the neck that came with their horn. after the mouthpiece, it is the closest thing that is affected by your air. i've heard of stories of back in the day when players could go to the factory and check out horns. there they would mix and match the best horn with the best neck.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

Most saxophone players use the neck that comes with the horn. If your current neck works, it would be unnecessary to change it. My soprano comes with two necks, but I find it more difficult to play in tune with the curved one. Th underslung octave key (I believe) was primarily to keep it protected.

Reply To Post

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
        (141 posts)

17 years ago

A sax neck can make a huge difference in tone, response, back-pressure, etc. and many players experiment . . . many players also stick to the stock neck. In today's day and age, a lot of manufacturers are offering a variety of neck options which opens up a whole can of worms for the many "gear-heads" out there (myself included) . . . That being said, at your age, I wouldn't worry about experimenting with necks . . . develop competent fundamentals on your current setup. If you eventually decide to go pro, that's the time to worry about that specific of a parameter . . . One final note . . . although I am a self-proclaimed "gear-head," I use all stock necks, HOWEVER, I have silver-plated the stock necks on my YSS-675 soprano and my YAS-62 alto and as a result, the horn responds much faster, and the sound is much more vibrant than before the plating (My Mark VI alto, tenor, and bari remain untouched, although the lacquer has been stripped from my tenor. I also have a Couf Superba which is also untouched).

Reply To Post