Saxophone Forum

by randomuser
(2 posts)
17 years ago

Tenor Problem

Does anyone know of a tenor mouthpiece/reed setup that is easy to play? I used to play tenor a lot, but I haven't played anything but alto in 3 years. I tried taking out my tenor again and a lot of the notes won't speak properly or in the right octave. I know it's not the horn, because it's the same horn I used to play. The mouthpice and reed right now is an Otto Link Tone Edge m.p. with a fibracell reed (medium). I have found the fibracells work very well on alto, but maybe this isn't the case with tenor?? Of course, it could also very likely be an embochure problem. So it anyone has any tips on that, it would also be much appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxyboy
    (52 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Tenor Problem

Just a thought, but you might have some leaks? As far as mouthpieces, you might get one of the vintage that would match your horn. Also, they start most tenor sax players on a C* - fairly close tip mouthpiece - with about a medium or #2.5 reed. Might try something like that to start back up anyway. Actually, I still grab my old C* sometimes, but prefer an F or 6* (0.95) tip opening now with a #3 reed for general use.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

If the horn's been in storage for quite a while, it can develop problems that weren't there before, such as leaks, since the pads have not been in contact with the tone holes regularly... Get the horn checked out by a technician, or have someone else (a tenor player, perhaps?) try it out, and see if s/he has the same difficulties.

Reply To Post

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
        (141 posts)

17 years ago

Definitely get the horn checked out by a tech to make sure it is at least playable. Your Link is a solid pure setup, however, I question your choice of reed at this stage of the game. Slap on a normal cane reed for now with your Link and get used to the feel. Once you're comfortable with that, then you can explore the world of synthetic reeds again. Best of luck!

Reply To Post

2. by randomuser
      (2 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks everyone for your excellent suggestions!!

Reply To Post