Saxophone Forum

by siboy37
(3 posts)
17 years ago

Daniel Lazarus Sonata

I just received my copy of the Lazarus Sonata and tried playing through it, but it didn't really make much sense...does anybody have or know where I can get a good recording of this piece? Also, on a side note, a lot of air tends to leak from the side of my mouth when I play, and I was wondering if anyone had a solution for this. My all-state audition's coming up soon and I would like to fix this ASAP...I've been trying to fix it for a long time.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Daniel Lazarus Sonata

Without being able to observe your technique, it's extremely difficult to address the leakage problem. Do you have a private instructor, or could you ask your band director for help? What comes to mind is the possibility that your reed does not sit well on the mouthpiece, and that the leakage is between the reed and the rails. In that case, a new mouthpiece with level rails would help. If it's your mouth, then the only solution is increased practice--once you hear the leak, stop, rest, come back. Each time you should be able to go a little longer, developing the muscles to remain sealed for longer periods of time.

Reply To Post