Saxophone Forum

by istan
(15 posts)
17 years ago

old hard rubber (Selmer?) "table B" tenor mpc

I own a presumably very old tenor hard rubber mpc which I bought together with a Selmer "cigar cutter" tenor sax (1932). Its tip is close with a large chamber compared with modern mpcs. The only characteristics are "table B" written on the table and a metal ring around the shank. It came with a Selmer-(made in France) ligature. Can someone please provide any information about this mouthpiece? Is it a classical piece and is it really an old Selmer mpc? Thanks, istan

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

17 years ago

Re: old hard rubber (Selmer?) "table B" tenor mpc

It's a Selmer "Airflow". They play (generally) pretty badly unless refaced to a decent curve and tip opening. They open up nice, though, and can become great pieces (classical or jazz) if one is looking for a warm sound - great hard rubber. Definitely classical in original condition, though pretty stuffy playing, most likely. There are different variations on the Airflow (pre-Soloist) mouthpieces in design - some with the metal band on a smooth shank, and a few with varying scroll designs. Some of the later ones have a medium round throat like the more modern Larry Teal model (which is, in fact, the design Larry Teal asked Selmer to bring back and we now see as the LT model). I have five different tenor Airflows which span the varying shank and chamber designs. You have what I believe is one of the oldest variations.

Reply To Post

1. by istan
      (15 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks a lot sax maniac. I was dissapointed that no one would reply to my post, but there you are! I think this early mpc requires a very hard reed to play, and has a warm sound without any edge at all. I would be interested to know who could reface it so it opens up because it indeed is very very close tipped Thanks a lot

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

17 years ago

Shoot me an email at [email protected]. It can be opened for use with a more typical reed strength. It's not the kind of piece to be used for contemporary jazz, but certainly for classical or a smaller ensemble.

Reply To Post