Saxophone Forum

by Sexysaxman
(19 posts)
17 years ago

How to keep your reeds going?

How can i make my reeds last with out buying those reed cases and all that stuff. How should i take care of my reeds everytime i'm done playing with them?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

17 years ago

Re: How to keep your reeds going?

Wipe your reeds off on your pants and stick them in a book. When you go play a gig, stick them in a reed box with paper stuffed on top. Don't try to use a reed too long, as your sound will deteriorate. Reed cases are a waste of money. Save your money too buy fresh reeds,, and Practice hard!!!! Best of luck to you :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

Th reed cases are expensive, but reed holders (the plastic kind that keep them flat) are quite inexpensive, and very helpful. Though, the book Jamterry talks about, is probably already on your shelf, and, therefore, free.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

17 years ago

Also make sure you rotate through different reeds and not play on the same one every single day...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
      (141 posts)

17 years ago

Had an interesting conversation about 14 years ago with Jack Nimitz about reed care . . . Periodically, when reeds got dirty, he would soak them in hydrogen peroxide to clean them. Instead of using a reed clipper, he would place a bit of the tip over the edge of a silver dollar (this was for baritone sax reeds . . . alto and tenor players would use a half dollar or quarter) and burn it off . . . Basically, if you don't want to buy a reed case (and this is provided you don't need to transport your reeds anywhere), then clean the reed off after use and let it dry in the open air on a flat piece of glass (you can pick that up pretty cheap) and just pick up a cheap La Voz Reedguard for transport . . . It's not the way I would do it, but that should get you through on a tight budget.

Reply To Post