Saxophone Forum

by mrmeyer00
(11 posts)
17 years ago

Reference 54 alto.....looking for a good mouthpiece!

I recently bought a reference 54 alto with the antiqued finish that most of the tenors come in. I'm having problems finding a mouthpiece that works for it. I tried a regular Meyer 7, and its really too dark for jazz....then I tried my old beechler M7S that I used to play lead on on my last horn (I had a series III and hated it), and it was way too bright. Any reference alto players out there that have suggestions?????

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Reference 54 alto.....looking for a good mouthpiece!

I've never played a mouthpiece that hasn't worked well with my Reference 54. Did you try the Super Session that came with it? What was wrong with it? My main piece is an RPC 90R because it's louder than anything I've played on, and has enough brightness to cut...not to mention extremely easy to play... (for a cheaper alternative though, Morgan and Vandoren Java...)

Reply To Post AIM

2. by FlashpointJazz
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Try A Beechler ARB with Rico Jazz Select Filed reeds...Very nice tone ......

Reply To Post

1. by mvspur
      (9 posts)

17 years ago

May I also suggest the new Saxgourmet mouthpieces. I just picked up an Alto with a .080 facing. They are gold plated with the single screw lig on the bottom. They are extremely powerful when provoked, and they have a great softness when coddled. I used to play on a Meyer 6M (not a NY, but damn close to it) and I have to believe that I can honestly say I won't ever pick that piece up again. Might even consider selling, but that's beside the point. In all seriousness, the Saxgourmet line of mouthpieces are very new and very much worth a try. Just so you know, they have a large chamber and very pronounced cliff baffle. Playing @ ppp is as effortless as FFF. Effortless altissimo as well if that's your gig. Not sure what kind of tone you are looking for, but these are definitely worth a spin for any serious saxophonist. I'll go ahead and say the 4 words now just in case you are so inclined........"I told you so" Best of luck!

Reply To Post

3. by Dotie
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Am using a Yanigasawa 5 with gold "OLD" LaVoz med.hard. Love the thing......

Reply To Post