Saxophone Forum

by Ronish
(8 posts)
17 years ago

Soprano Sax Anyone?

Hav`nt heard much from anyone on soprano playing. Just bought a nice one and looking for all the tips, help and advice I can get. Seems good tone is the big aim so am doing heaps of long notes. Any other players found they have had to drop down on reed strength for their sop compared to their other saxes?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cal lemard
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Re: Soprano Sax Anyone?

Hi, as the reed is as small, in relation to the lip, you will get big difference if you up or down in reed strength. If you go for old jazz style mpc a smaller opening and harder reed will be my tip. If you want a edgier sound and use baffled mpc you should try bigger opening and softer reed. As the soprano is less forgiving it will be more sencitive to the strength of the reed. If you gig with only the soprano you need to bring a number of reeds on stage as your moiste and the humidity of the room will change the responce. By the way if you been playing clarinet, you have to "unlearned" how to hold a straight instrument. Think 45 degrees and and you will drop to 60 or us a curved neck. Play on, Cal

Reply To Post

1. by Ronish
      (8 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Soprano Sax Anyone?

Hullo Cal. thanks for your reply. My playing to date has been tenor and alto with a preponderance of the tenor. I`m really finding it difficult to get a sound that is not like the snake charmers from the sop. It is so thin and lacks warmth and body. The sop is a new Yanagisawa 981. A lovely (& pricey here) instrument. I canged the MPC to a Yamaha 4C which sounds a little rounder but still too edgie for any performance in the little local band I play in. At the moment I can`t play much above a 1.5/2.0 reed. I also have a Selmer C* on order & hoping this will help. I know peop[le are appalled at this, but I find a small cloth in the bell mutes some of the screechy highs. Cheers RUss

Reply To Post