Saxophone Forum

by musicman_horton
(19 posts)
17 years ago

Instrument advice

Good morning! I'm looking for advice in regards to some of the higher end Yamaha horns. In addition to being a band director, I teach privately. One of my students is looking to move up to a pro horn and tried two on Friday, with two more coming next week. We both tried the Selmer Paris Series III and the Yamaha YAS 62. We will be trying, next week, the Yamaha 875 Ex, and the 82 Z. Does anyone have any comments on any of these horns? The Selmer Paris is out of the question, because the student IS NOT going to study music in college, and the mom would rather put money into a horn that will last her through high school. Thanks for your responses! Ben

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Instrument advice

Why would the Selmer be the only one suitable to last through college? They're all professional-grade instruments.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

The current YAS-62 is not their top-line pro model, but used to be. It is still a fine horn. You could get a lightly used late 1990's model 62 (when it was their top-of-the-line) for less than $1500. Any of the saxes mentioned could last a lifetime. I know a guy making money with an intermediate line Yamaha, and another who plays a student Conn (Model 16, I think) in a rock band. If it's set up right and doesn't leak, the player is more important than the particular horn. She should get the horn she likes best through rigorous testing. I recently bought an E.M. Winston tenor in really nice shape for under $1000 to play at some venues - rather than risk my Selmer Mark VI. Guess what - I still sound like me on this cheap horn. I was honestly surprised. I had always been a vintage horn snob. If she likes the Selmer - look around for a well cared for Reference horn. These are sometimes available around $2500. I passed on a Ref 36 Tenor at $2200, although practically new. I like the Ref 36 and 54 better than the Serie II and III models. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

My daughter adores her E.M. Winston alto 455LX, though it is not their top-of-the-line. We also have an E.M. Winston Soprano, and that has done very well for us as well. You might want to look into that. Problem is, they're harder to find in order to try them out first.

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

17 years ago

I've been very impressed with the P. Mauriat horns. As good as Selmers, and in my opinion a bit better than Yamahas, and costs much less. However, among the cheap horns, I've also been impressed with Antigua Winds saxes. They are well made, sound great, and look very nice. I think Antigua Winds saxes are among the best horns in their price range.

Reply To Post