Saxophone Forum

by maragrimes
(1 post)
7 years ago

New Tenor Sax

Hi, I'm a sophmore in high school, and I really need a new sax. I've been using a school owned tenor sax for the past couple years, and the one I have now (a selmer bundy II) is really falling apart. My band director at school has advised me to get either a new Yamaha, Yanigisawa or Selmer, and my private sax teacher has had the same sax since he was my age (a Selmer Mk VI) and recommended getting a vintage horn. Any advice on where and what to buy? Thanks! Jordan

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by llewellyn
    (4 posts)

7 years ago

Re: New Tenor Sax

It depends on the amount of money you are willing to spend on one.. Selmers are great quality saxophones, but are usually pretty expensive.. I have a Jupiter 989 and I wouldn't want to change a thing about it, and also they are not as expensive as some of the other horns like the selmers.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

7 years ago

E. M. Winston also has a decent sax at a moderate price. I like the two we have in our house, a soprano and an alto.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

7 years ago

I wish I knew where to find Winstons...I played one soprano that's a school horn, only one I've ever seen and it's pretty nice... :'(

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Saxyboy
      (52 posts)

7 years ago

You don't need to decide on what horn to buy before you try a lot of different ones. Try to line up a test session at a large music store - both vintage and modern. There are many discussions in here on this subject by the way. As the owner of a 1960 Selmer Mark VI, I say break the bank, spend $4000++ and get one! Too much you say? How about $2500 for a Conn 10m from the late 1930's to the 1940's? Still too much? How about $1500 for a nearly new Yamaha 62? There's just a lot of possibilities for you. Do the rearch and take your time.

Reply To Post