Saxophone Forum

by maragrimes
(1 post)
17 years ago

New Tenor Sax

Hi, I'm a sophmore in high school, and I really need a new sax. I've been using a school owned tenor sax for the past couple years, and the one I have now (a selmer bundy II) is really falling apart. My band director at school has advised me to get either a new Yamaha, Yanigisawa or Selmer, and my private sax teacher has had the same sax since he was my age (a Selmer Mk VI) and recommended getting a vintage horn. Any advice on where and what to buy? Thanks! Jordan

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by llewellyn
    (4 posts)

17 years ago

Re: New Tenor Sax

It depends on the amount of money you are willing to spend on one.. Selmers are great quality saxophones, but are usually pretty expensive.. I have a Jupiter 989 and I wouldn't want to change a thing about it, and also they are not as expensive as some of the other horns like the selmers.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

E. M. Winston also has a decent sax at a moderate price. I like the two we have in our house, a soprano and an alto.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

17 years ago

I wish I knew where to find Winstons...I played one soprano that's a school horn, only one I've ever seen and it's pretty nice... :'(

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Saxyboy
      (52 posts)

17 years ago

You don't need to decide on what horn to buy before you try a lot of different ones. Try to line up a test session at a large music store - both vintage and modern. There are many discussions in here on this subject by the way. As the owner of a 1960 Selmer Mark VI, I say break the bank, spend $4000++ and get one! Too much you say? How about $2500 for a Conn 10m from the late 1930's to the 1940's? Still too much? How about $1500 for a nearly new Yamaha 62? There's just a lot of possibilities for you. Do the rearch and take your time.

Reply To Post