Saxophone Forum

by saxandbassplayer
(42 posts)
17 years ago

Metal Mouthpieces

Alright, I'm a senior in high school, going to be a music double major next year in college. I've been doing a lot of playing lately, and it's time to move to a different mouthpiece. I need a good jazz mouthpiece (mine vanished, much to my dismay), and I've been considering looking into a metal piece. My biggest question is what should I be looking into? I've been looking at Berg Larsens a bit (maybe a 100/1M), but I haven't had any chances to try anything out. Any suggestions of brands/specific pieces to look into?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxandbassplayer
    (42 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Metal Mouthpieces

I am starting to think about the Jody Espina mouthpieces. The DV and ESP pieces are really interesting. When I can set the money aside, I'll get that idea squared away. When that happens, I'll let you all know what I think. I'm still taking suggestions though, because I'll always be in search for the "perfect" mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

2. by mjohnnie
    (66 posts)

17 years ago

tenor--link, or one of Doc Tenney's Versions, orPhil Barone's. I personally don't care for bergs on tenor, but many people like them.. Alto--something that's like a meyer. Barone, maybe. If you can go to a music store and try some out. My $.02

Reply To Post

1. by mjohnnie
      (66 posts)

17 years ago

Oh, and it doesn't necessarily have to be metal. You can get just as much projection and power from hard rubber with the right design. Doesn't look as cool though...

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

17 years ago

But you can do graffiti on it with a silver sharpie... :)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by mjohnnie
          (66 posts)

17 years ago

CS: You took a silver sharpie to your RPC?!!? Pay no attention to the count. Meyer is good. Hard rubber is cheaper. Try ebay.

Reply To Post

2. by saxandbassplayer
        (42 posts)

17 years ago

I should have mentioned it, but I'm an alto player.

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
          (138 posts)

17 years ago

I would try some of the metal meyers. I have one for both my tenor and alto. They both project really well and they have magnificent sounds. Great mouthpieces and relatively inexpensive as well. Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

3. by CajunSax
        (76 posts)

17 years ago

go with Runyon....Santy Runyon is a pioneer in mouthpiece and tone. he died a few years ago, but they still sell a lot of Runyon mpc's. Another choice would be Jody Jazz pieces. A very respectable student of Santy Runyon. He started out modifying Runyons, now they make thier own. I play Runyon & Jody Jazz on all my horns. Check out the Spoiler models. bonne chance! -CajunSax

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

Naw mjohnie I was kidding lol. I wouldn't ever mess with my RPC... Sharpie remark=Joke :)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Christian Anderson
            (73 posts)

17 years ago

I used a yani 7 for a while. it sounded pretty good, i just got one with a bad facing so i don't use it anymore. but overall they get a nice tone, and are somewhat cheap.....

Reply To Post