Saxophone Forum

by GODSEND221
(2 posts)
7 years ago

Saxophone altissimo

hello, I'm in college and in my second year of saxophone studies. I am learning altissimo fingerings now and am having trouble getting the notes out cleanly. Is the embochure different for notes in the altissimo register than for notes in the regular register?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Azsax
    (47 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Saxophone altissimo

as other repliers have said before, you really ought to study the rascher book. the overtones are a good workout to help train your muscles and how your direct your air to get the notes out. i did most of those exercises regularly for a year at the beginning of my warm up. i do not recomend his fingerings. for that you may want to check out sinta's voicing book.

Reply To Post

2. by andrewattsii
    (1 post)

6 years ago

I study with Sinta, therefor i have his altissimo fingering book, if you want a copy, i might can scan it and give it to you trough e-mail. get back to me at andrewattsii@gmail.com if you want a copy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

6 years ago

You revived this thread for what reason?

Reply To Post

3. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

7 years ago

No I think your embrosure should stay the, same; the difference is your oral cavity position. Many players bite to get altissimo, but that's not the proper way to do it, for good reason; it sounds bad, is out of tune and is physically painful. Do you do any overtones and/or tone matching studies? If not, these are the key to altissimo, so they would be a good thing to start doing. Play a middle Bb while fingering a low Bb. When You get the note out clearly, you have found the proper voicing for that note. Altissimo works the same way, because they're all overtone fingerings, so just treat it like an overtone, and voice the note you are trying to hit.

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
      (343 posts)

7 years ago

If this seems fun, clarinet!

Reply To Post

2. by GODSEND221
      (2 posts)

7 years ago

Are you a teacher, it seems like it from the way you type. I haven't tried a lot of overtone series exercizes, where can I find them? I found this great article from Michael Hester that basically said the same thing you did. I will definitely work on this!

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

7 years ago

look at sigurd raschers book on top tones for the saxophone. DONT use the fingerings.... unless you have a turn of the century buescher, doubtful. he goes into the study of overtones very well.im learning altissimo myself right now and i have another excercise i use. start on a G(right above the staff) and arpeggiate up to the altissimo G. the idea of this is to get voicing right by hearing the note before you play it. you have to have that pitch in your head before you try and pop it out. go all the way up the horn on that, it will take a long time to develop.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

7 years ago

Why wouldn't you use his fingerings? They work fine for me.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

7 years ago

granted, some will work. in my case of a series II alto, alternate fingerings speak better and are far better in tune than what rascher used. they also are "easier" fingerings. raschers feel very awkward.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by eman19
          (131 posts)

7 years ago

I agree that rascher's fingerings can be awkward, but I have no trouble using his technique for working on harmonics. I generally don't use them while playing, but I find them to be good exercises while practicing. As someone else said, harmonics are the key to a good altissimo sound.

Reply To Post

4. by saxmachine777
          (57 posts)

7 years ago

Problems using Rascher's fingerings may stem from using different horns. A horn pitched in Bb has its own natural fingerings to help achieve top harmonics as does a horn pitched in Eb. For example, on tenor I use the front F key, octave, and side Bb to get an altissimo G (fourth legere line), but on alto I use octave, L1, L3, R1, R3 to achieve its high G. It has to do with datural harmonics of the horn. For starts though, use the excercise detailed above, but play F at the top of the staff. Then switch to fingering low Bb. Try to keep the F while fingering Bb. Achieving this will aid in training your palette and tongue for centering in on overtones and playing in the altissimo register (in addition to improving ear and facility on the horn).

Reply To Post AIM