I've been playing saxophone fo

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Serious question regarding ligatures

yes, it all depends on personal preference, but what works for me is a BG metal jazz lig, it makes certain jumps easier to me (over 2 octave jumps)

Reply To Post

2. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

I personally don't like ligatures like the Rovner. I've tried a couple in the past, and the problem with them seems to be that over time, the leather or other material they use tends to stretch with increased tightening of the screw. It eventually is too loose to hold the reed securely on the mouthpiece. I now use the Francois Louis Ultimate Ligature. Tim Price recommended it to me, and I heard the difference right away between it and the Selmer ligature I was using. Its design makes minimal contact with the mouthpiece, and the metal plate and screw holds the reed tightly against the mouthpiece and allows a freer vibration, which translates into a bigger sound. That's just my experience. I would also recommend the FF Tensing Ring. The principle is almost the same as the Francois Louis, with the exception that it comes with 3 different reed plates that are used depending on the reed you use and the sound you like.

Reply To Post

1. by saxandbassplayer
      (42 posts)

17 years ago

Yeah, I've heard good things about them before. I was mostly asking about real string ligatures though. I've seen it only a couple of times, and I've been very curious about it. Does anyone have any idea about how it would affect the sound? Any kind of string work better than others?

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

17 years ago

Well, string ligatures are also known as the German ligature, and are used mostly by clarinet players. They have to be wound carefully, and it takes practice to wind them in order to get just the right amount of tension. I can't honestly say how the string ligature actually affects the sound. However, if you'd like some more information, go to this web site. sterkel.org/clarinet/wendl.htm

Reply To Post

2. by straightj23
      (103 posts)

17 years ago

When it comes to ligatures, mouthpieces, reeds, saxophones, etc., it's all about personal preference. I recommend going to a music store that has the ligature and giving it a try in person. I personally don't care about looks. If you like how it sounds, then get it. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. I don't believe the hype when it comes to ligatures. I play on a BG fabric ligature because I liked the sound it made when it first got it. However, I learned that you can make just as good of sound with a standard metal ligature. I saw a big band concert and the baritone sax player used duct tape as a ligature! He sounded amazing, like Gerry Mulligan. When you get to the epitome of playing the saxophone, you get to the point where you can make your own decisions when it comes to getting a new saxophone, mouthpiece, etc without basing your decision on what others think. As an individual artist, you have to make your own decisions based on what you like. So, in conclusion, I'd go and try out the string ligature. If you like it, get it. If not, try something else.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

17 years ago

Get a Daniel Bonade and never change !!!They are inexpensive and great!!

Reply To Post

3. by lo pro
      (19 posts)

17 years ago

I have never seen anyone playing on a string ligature before. I would just try one out and compare it with a few other ligatures.

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

17 years ago

look up Delangle he has been playing onVandoren string ligs in the past www.sax-delangle.com/en/gallery.html

Reply To Post

4. by allthewoodwinds
      (12 posts)

17 years ago

Uhhh....ever notice some (most) of the great sax players of the past used stock ligatures? (refer to numerous pics of Getz, Cohn, Sims, Coltrane, Mobley, Rollins, Young, Parker, Grffin, ad nauseum ) And here we are 40 - 50 years later spending so much time and money on ligs trying to get what sound? Are you having problems with your present lig? Believe me, this is coming from a guy who's WASTED so much money on ligs like Rovner, Francois Louis, Olegature, Consoli, Van Doren Optimum, BG, etc. etc. just becuase some guy said it would make a real difference. Hmmmm are we all that gullible when it comes to these after market accessories. Do we really need them? Just because some so-called PROs endorse them, are they really going to make that much difference in the sound, or are we believing all that scientific hype behind all of that nonsense? Think about all this before you waste money on somethng better spent.

Reply To Post

1. by Kherek
        (5 posts)

16 years ago

As far as "wasting money" on ligatures like this, really it should be about what you want your sound to be like. A ligature can sometimes be a cheaper way to change how you want your sound to be. A fellow saxist in the area wanted to have a less bright sound, but instead of spending a bunch of money on a new mouthpiece, he swapped from his metal ligature to using a string ligature. And not the vandoren strings or anything like that, but using 1/8th inch leather twine that he bought at a Hobby Lobby. This darkened his sound nicely, and he didn't have to spend money on a Rovner ligature, or some brand new mouthpiece to get aquainted to. The downside was having to tie it every time he put a reed on. I myself play on a Winslow ligature, which really did have a night and day difference against several other ligatures i played on. It's all on preference of how the ligature interacts with the timbre. The more contact the ligature has, the more the sound will be affected. Softer materials like leather and cloth will darken the sound, while metal will brighten it up. My recommendation is to try different ones out, and decide for yourself "Is the newly created timbre worth the price of the ligature?" and "Is there a better way to achieve this?"

Reply To Post