hi i listen to alot of old beb

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Coltrane or Cannonball?

Or maybe someone like Miles who can play (and imply) the very essence in a simple and hip manner...

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

17 years ago

I would advise not to get hung up on hero worship. Miles Davis could play , but he was a horrible person. as was Buddy Rich. Influence is great, but don't be a clone. It's sooooooooo easy to play when yopu feel it !!!!!!!!!! Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

17 years ago

Just pointing out another thing to look for in your improv, another way for your mind to work. It has nothing to do with what kind of person you are. Be that as it may, you're right, Terry, don't be a clone. One of the great things about jazz is having your own voice and your own way to express yourself.

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

17 years ago

Well as far as I could tell they were just discussing different styles of improv and which they appreciate more, but I'll try not to worship black Hitler ; ) I would say Cannonball. The reason I say that is because I think it takes more creativity and a bigger understanding to be able to weave a single melodic line through several chord changes, morphing the color of the phrase throughout the changes. What Coltrane played was nuts, and I wouldn't even shake a stick at any of his solo cut on Giant Steps, but I think his stuff is more fun to analyze than it is to listen to. Miles is great, but I don't give him all the credit because he's a trumpet player. That's why most of his stuff worked. Could you picture an saxophonist playing like that? It wouldn't be hip, it would be boring. I much prefer his later stuff.

Reply To Post

2. by Grubsax
      (11 posts)

17 years ago

Cannonball Domination!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

17 years ago

i don't like to choose who is better just appreciate the difference between the two and steal what you can from both nobody can be just like either, and if you try you will lose yourself. they are apples and oranges

Reply To Post

3. by cuber
      (653 posts)

17 years ago

if you are imitating ANYONE you have problems, its ok to learn from them, steal what they know, but dont try to imitate them, because you will never know how to be yourself, and if you listen to the greats, you will notice you might hear elements of earlier players in their playing, but you will NEVER hear an exact replica of the earlier player

Reply To Post

4. by Donnie The B
      (282 posts)

17 years ago

I think one of the most important things to learn about improvisation is to remember the beat! So many high school and college guys I've heard will get so carried away with playing as many notes as possible to impress (I suppose) that they lose the beat or even forget what bar they're in, or maybe even what chords the background voices are using. An old tenor man by the name of Zoot Sims was known as a swinger because of his inate sense of rhythm. His first big job was in Woody Herman's Herd (big band) and he was quite active in small groups all through the 1950's. He teamed up with Gerry Mulligan on some memorable sessions in the 1960's. He was still playing great sax in the 1970's and 1980's. Check him out. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

17 years ago

Just listen to every great player, take what you like best from them, and then express it your own way, which ultimately is the only way you can do it.

Reply To Post