Hi, all, I need a different m

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by peter090
    (155 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Need a different mouthpiece...

Perhaps I'm missing something but the least expensive option would be to have the neck recorked. A competent tech will fit the mouthpiece you want to use.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

Nope. Tried that. Apparently thicker cork is not suitable for the necks of saxophones...

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

17 years ago

Im having trouble remembering since Ive been gone awhile, what kind of music do you play? Hard Rubber bergs In my expirience have had smaller shanks, as well as some Runyon models, and they both have the added benefit of being great matches for Conns Another thing to consider is the discrepancy within models even, the bore of the shank is not as uniform as we'd like it to be, so try a few and see what you come up with!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

I play generally in church and community band, though I'm not averse to a bit of Jazz. Thank you for the suggestions. What are the best places to order mouthpieces so that I can try them?

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

17 years ago

wwbw is pretty stable again, and their trial policy is pretty good. Order 3 pieces at a time, send back what you dont like, and you're only out shipping. Where are you? There is probably some place decent in a dravable distance, which would be optimal

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by peter090
        (155 posts)

17 years ago

Talk to a different tech. Unless you have a neck from an instrument other than a tenor sax any tenor sax mouthpiece should be usable.My first sax was a 16M and used a Selmer D, stock Berg Larsen 110/1 and Link 7* on it without problems. I've never heard of needing a custom piece for a student instrument.

Reply To Post

2. by mjohnnie
      (66 posts)

17 years ago

Two things: 1) you can wrap plumbers tape or teflon to make the neck cork thicker. It will be fine. 2) Take the mouthpiece off the horn and play it. Are you hitting a G concert? If not, you need to adjust your embouchure so that on tenor you play G. This may make you go furthur in on the cork.

Reply To Post