i am curious about the vintage

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by ftttf007
    (7 posts)

17 years ago

Re: selmer solist

I will sway from your primary question, but return to it in conclusion. The Selmer Soloist is a horseshoe chamber mouthpiece and is the modern version of the Selmer Scroll Shank mouthpiece, which is shorter than the modern Soloist. I have consistantly found the modern Selmer Soloist to have a moderate edge and "warmer" sound when compared to the S80 or S90, which have a clearer and more focused timbre. The Selmer Soloist also provides for increased volume and projection compared to the S80. Rousseau Classic and New Classic mouthpieces also have the horse shoe chamber, with the New Classic being longer than the older classic. So, to your point, the longer mouthpiece of the Soloist, S80, S90 and New Classic Rousseaus provide for a more secure fit and more accurate tuning than the older Scroll Shank mouthpieces--there is no empirical dispute of this fact. Now, many people hold great sentiment for the older pieces as many people have a sentiment for older Selmer (Paris) saxophones. I personally do not hold any sentiment for older pieces and horns, as I play on Yamaha 875 EXs and Selmer (Paris) S 90 or Vandoren Optimum pieces.

Reply To Post