Hello, my name is Michael Broc

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by miramarsax
    (14 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Big Decision

The vintage or mordern sax is your prefrence. My pro alto is a modern Selmer Refrence. I am very please as to how it sounds. However it might be a little dark for your taste. I got mine from saxforte.com. The have a varity of saxex there. Good luck

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

I live somewhat close to you, and I own a Conn 6m, a vintage pro sax from the late 40's (after the rolled tone holes were discontinued). You're welcome to contact me and schedule a time that you could come up and see what one like that would be like.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

17 years ago

However, I neglected to mention that mine is NOT for sale.

Reply To Post

1. by mbrock
          (12 posts)

17 years ago

haha...somehow I knew you were going to say that. It would be nice to try a Conn, because I have never played one.

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
        (141 posts)

17 years ago

Your best bet is to try out as many different horns as you possibly can and see what works best for you. Bring along some kind of recording device so you can listen back to what you sound like. Bring along a friend as a sound consultant. If your teacher is able to go along with you and make recommendations, more power to you. Best of luck!

Reply To Post

1. by Lefty
          (21 posts)

17 years ago

I'm with the non-sleeper here, where including the instructor in the process is concerned. If you're going to be at this university for the duration of your academic career, what happens there will affect the next career. And if this person is to be your instructor for the duration, then gaining a little advantage with him/her by letting them participate will make the duration a little easier. Yes, you'll be spending your own money to get your own sax, and in that you have the final say. Show them some respect. If it's on the transcript, an A is an A is an..... regardless of how it got there. Lefty

Reply To Post

3. by mingusfan
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

What kind of sound are you looking for? How much are you willing to spend. If money is no issue, just go for the Mark IV. Find a store with a bunch of them and try them all out, the IV's are very inconsistent so you have to try them all out. I just bought a Conn 6M and its great if your looking for a horn with a very flexible tone ability. It all depends on what you want to sound like, dark or bright, cutting or spread, that's where you should start, find out what you want to sound like, then go shopping.

Reply To Post

1. by ottolinkfan
          (3 posts)

17 years ago

@ mingusfan what is a Mark IV? Can't say I've heard of it. I hear the Mark VI's are quite nice though :-) As for the original question, if you intend to play mainly classical saxophone I suggest checking out Selmer Series II. Ive tried a bunch of series II's and IIIs but i found that the II's get a really rich warm sound. I didn't like the new venting mechanism on the III. If you want to play primarily jazz, well then thats a whole different game. I agree with what everyone else has said before: try a lot of horns and get your instructor involved. Even different horns of the same model can play quite differently.

Reply To Post