I've heard so much talking and

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Classical Ligature: Winlslow

I've been a big fan of Winslow ligs for many years, and have had them for all of my horns except for bari . . . I originally bought my first Winslow for legit alto playing, but ended up using the same ligature on a Meyer for jazz and even on my clarinet (after that I ended up buying them for all the other horns). I've noticed that more reeds were playable with it . . . why that is I am unsure . . . you do have plenty of options with a Winslow as far as cushion placement (there are 9 holes on the plate) . . . I've used a variety of cushion placements on mine--4-corner, X-pattern, boxcar, diamond--depending on how stiff I wanted the center of the reed to feel . . . I do wish they still made them--I have a few mouthpieces I'd like to try them on . . .

Reply To Post

1. by odedtzur
      (19 posts)

17 years ago

thanks man. maybe you can tell me one more thing - the optimum ligature I'm using now, although the best ligature I've tried, doesn't fit to any mothpiece. I got a short shank selmer soloist and the lower part of the ligature is drifting in the air, instead of touching the mouthpiece, the same with the reed - and that way only half the reed gets the support of the ligature. this happens because there are basically 2 parts of metal holding the back of the mouthpiece and the ratio between their lengths is suitable for a vandoren mouthpiece, and not for a selmer. any material you put there - mpc cusion, cork, felt - means you lose vibrations because the material absorbs it and that's no good. Now, can this happen to me with a winslow? or is it built in a way that compesates for any mis-match?

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

17 years ago

I don't think ligatures will determine whether or not your sound is "classical" or "jazz." I'd leave that up to you and your mouthpiece... Ligatures are over-rated...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by trahansax
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

Ligatures are over-rated, I personally like using selmer metal ligatures, they work great, certain other ligs (made of cloth or leather) absorb to much vibration for the richness of the saxophone tone.

Reply To Post