I just wanted to know if I sho

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by thelittlemarchingone
    (50 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Section Leader -_-

Certainly not. When I was a freshmen, I was considered a section leader, and instead of one person being an almighty power we worked together as a team. But I certainly did assign pushups and tell people what they were doing wrong, and I was the one who went to the meetings, but it's not a big deal. Last year we didn't assign section leaders for our band, and we worked REALLY well together because we were all considered equal and no one was fighting for power control. It's shouldn't be about who's named a section leader, it should be about everyone setting an example and doing all they can to achieve what they're capable of...

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

17 years ago

Not really. He might be better than you, he might not, you two might be better in different respects of the saxophone. Band teachers who know what they're talking about are the exception rather than the rule. And as far as marching... marching bands are great for percussionists, but do very little if anything to make a wind player any better. Maybe brass with projection. It ruins clarinettists and flautists... so don't feel like that should give you an edge over him. It doesn't really matter.

Reply To Post

1. by amazingmanderrr
      (25 posts)

17 years ago

Alright then. I was just really mad yesterday when I posted this. This girl is already section leader for the french horns so everyone is starting to think it might be a temp until I get better. She also marches melophone too. I think she's needed over there more so than anything, I'm really not that bad.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

17 years ago

section leader positions is not only about your ability to march and play. its about leadership capabilities. by being upset that you dont have "power" you demonstrate lacking leading abilities. see this as an opportunity to help thr program in another way. embrace whoever is you sectipn leader and work with them, not against them. if you work against them, nobody wins.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by ForeverOptimistic
          (11 posts)

17 years ago

And to add to Bari's post. When you are a SL, you know it, and everyone else knows and respects you for it. I'm really not in favor of HSes that have an auditioning process for SL or a system where the instructors choose everything. I mean, when you are a SL, everyone simply KNOWS you are the SL.

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
        (653 posts)

16 years ago

if your a sax section leader, you need to realize that in the grand scheme of things, the sax dosent matter marching-wise, and start practicing fun stuff if your director lets you go off to practice

Reply To Post