Hello fellas!. I'm just starti

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by edoney
    (20 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Starting in Sax Playing focused in Jazz

I would recommend you get a book called "Improvising Jazz" by Jerry Coker. It gives a good overview of what you will want to learn. You can buy it at Jamey Aebersold's website www. jazzbooks.com and you can get Jamey's catalog which will show you lots of books, methods and play-alongs.

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
    (653 posts)

17 years ago

all jazz has its roots in classical music, so if you are just starting to play sax, id spend a little time in that to start with

Reply To Post

3. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Joe- If you can learn on the metal mouthpieces, I suppose that would be OK. But most people start on a hard rubber mouthpiece, usually one with a fairly closed tip like a Selmer C*. The less air you have to push to get a good solid tone, the more you can concentrate on fingerings and etc. I was taught to always warm up with whole notes bottom to top chromatically. Concentrate on intonation and consistency. You should definitely get your feet under you technically before you worry about jazz. Most students of the past used the Rubank books - from elementary to advanced. Full of exercises that force you into good habits and proper knowledge. Take it from someone who drifted into jazz and rock too early and had to go back and re-learn what I should have taken care of in perhaps years 4-5. I had my own band and got to thinking I knew it all. Good Luck - and remember, the need for Practice never ceases.

Reply To Post