Saxophone Forum

by BreckerBrothersaregods!
(23 posts)
20 years ago

Great affordable sopranos

I am interested in getting a soprano - possibly a vintage horn. Anybody got any views on great sopranos that arent priced way too high. If you can can you describe the way it plays? Sound? Comfortable? Excellent key work? Price? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Jbreitm
    (5 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Great affordable sopranos

I am a vintage horn nut, and I typically go for vintage conn sopranos. you would want one that was straight with a ring for your thumb instead of a hook they have some of the best intonation of any of the vintage horns, kinda surprising that they were made in the late twenties. you should probably pay about 1000 for one online though in good condition they can be worth up too about 2000 or more depending on the plating and rarety... etc. I also have tried an old buescher curved soprano and it played beautifully. the curved sopranos tend to have a darker richer sound than the goose like squaking that amatures oftentimes get out of a straight horn. For an old buescher you should probably pay about the same as a Conn or maybe a little less, it jsut depends so much on condition and so fourth. One thing that will affect you if you decide to go ahead and get a vintage soprano you will probably also want to find a vintage mouthpiece or one with a round chamber, the squared off chambers of today do not play intune on vintage horns, also the round chamber will give you a darker more mature sound on soprano.

Reply To Post

1. by Skoolboi
      (9 posts)

20 years ago

Antigua Winds sops!!! I noe what ur thinking. What the heck Antigua Winds, some nameless brand. But if u dont believe me, and think that im just an isolated case of antigua winds go to saxontheweb.net and look at the soprano section. Antigua winds are sub 1000 and rival top brand names such as selmer and yani.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Not that I would call 1980 "vintage" but Yanagisawa made sopranos that were stenciled "Vito" horns. So if you can spot a late 70's or early 80's Vito soprano with "Japan" under the serial number, you've found one. The 3rd and 4th digit of the serial number on these horns gives the year it was made. Mine is 1977 - it's got a rich, warm tone - as rich as a curved neck soprano, but without the hassle of removable necks. It has an adjustable thumb hook and the lacquer finish is very deep. Keyed to high F# with excellent intonation and response. I've not seen them sold for over $1600, and usually start around $800. I'd rather buy an older horn that's worth $1000 than a new $1000 horn - just for value's sake.

Reply To Post