I am new to this forum. Can so

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

17 years ago

Re: C.G. Conn Sax

The first number (1119954) is a patent number. The C means that it is in the key of C, probably a C melody. The 111586 is the serial number, and tells us it was likely made in 1923. The L means that it is tuned to Low Pitch, which is today's standard, so this horn can play with other modern horns.

Reply To Post

1. by infoseeker
      (2 posts)

17 years ago

Thank you. For insurance purposes, can you please tell me the approximate value. I don't think my son is interested in selling this piece. Also, what does WILLIAM WINNIPEG mean. It is possible that this instrument was purchased in Winnipeg, Canada but not certain. Could WILLIAM have been a musicial company based in Winnipeg,Canada? Would this add to or detract from the value of the instrument?: My father-in-law was born in Saskatchewan, Canada and played with a local band in Regina, Sask

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

17 years ago

Where on the sax does it say William Winnepeg? Never heard of a Conn with that on it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

17 years ago

as far as the approx value of a C melody sax, usually they run around 250 - 500 bucks US. The C melody horns arent very desired simply because most music is written for the horns in the more common keys of Eb and Bb

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Saxyboy
        (52 posts)

17 years ago

Seeker- The William Winnipeg likely means that some previous owner unfortunately insisted on having his name and location engraved into the brass. Keeping the horn for sentimental reasons would be great. Keeping it to play with a band would be folly, unless transposition on the fly is a talent. Take the few hundred it will bring and get a more modern sax to play in a band or etc.

Reply To Post