im trying to get my first teno

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

Re: any good brands?

Well, in my opinion, if you're going that cheap for a tenor, I would try an Antigua Winds or Jupiter tenor if it's a new horn you want, or look at some classic vintage horns online, like Conn, King, Buescher, or Martin. Selmer just won't be available at the price unless you're real lucky. Of course, look at some used Yamahas and you can find a good horn at a bargain price. If it has a name you can't recognize, chancesa are it's a piece of crap from China. Beware!

Reply To Post

2. by mattMrozinski
    (35 posts)

17 years ago

cannonball makes a really good student/intermediate model tenor, and you can get it new for probably right around that price. i bought the alto almost 2 years ago and it was the first horn i actually owned, as i had rented for a long time beforehand. for a student model they play extremely well in tune and have great intonation throughout the horn. after playing the alto for almost 2 years and renting a tenor for school i put away some bucks and picked up a cannonball pro model tenor and not only is it beautiful but it sounds great and blew away the mark VI's i was able to test on for some comparisons. the sound is just so much smoother and they blow real easy.

Reply To Post

3. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Almost without reservation, if you're just starting to play, I would recommend a well cared for, but used, Yamaha 52 or 62 from the late 1990's. These are sturdy and fairly easy to play in tune and have nice keywork. The YTS-62 was actually their pro line tenor in the 1990's, but may be available for $1500 or so - again in a gently used condition. If you already play enough to be discerning, why not journey to a large music store and play a bunch of different horns. Don't be afraid of trying old Martins, (The Martin Tenor model) from the 1940's to the mid-1950's has a great tonal quality. Or Bueschers from the 1930's to 1950's. Or even Conn 10M models from the late 1930's to the early 1950's. You would have to get lucky on the price on a desirable Conn, but the Martins and Bueschers might fit. Beware late 1960's and later horns from these manufacturers. They started downhill generally at some point in the 1960's. If you do not have a private teacher, please get one if you can. They might also help in the horn search. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

4. by Jnewmann
    (12 posts)

17 years ago

Check out Gary Sugals saxophones on Ebay. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of workmanship, easy of playing (so easy to play in tune and even tone throughout the registers, on a copper alto I purchased recently. The action is quick and tight. It stands on its own next to a big name horn.

Reply To Post

5. by BisonBlues
    (3 posts)

17 years ago

I agree with Donnie about the 52s and 62s, and would also like to add the 61. They are a little older than the 62, but you can generally get them for much cheaper. I bought mine for $800, and though the intonation is a bit sketchy, i love the horn.

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
      (282 posts)

17 years ago

Bison is right about the YTS-61, although you'll need to be careful not to go back too far in their past, I heard. The early Japanese horns were beset with a lot of problems. The Gary Sugal brand tenors mentioned by Newman are quite impressive, but in new condition would be more like $2000 than $1200, and are not easily available used. The same thing could be said for the Steve Goodson line of saxes - quite impressive but not easily found used. I have heard Antigua Winds is a good choice, but have not played one. I would avoid Jupiter and Cannonball myself - at least the earlier models. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

6. by cuber
    (653 posts)

17 years ago

FOR GOD'S SAKE STAY AWAY FROM CHINESE HORNS jupiter sounds ok but make a twig look durable, so if your on the road, dont expect it took work, you can find some pretty good deals if you look long enough

Reply To Post