First time posting. Have a '55

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kellyshorns
    (4 posts)

17 years ago

Re: delayed mechanism

there are so many reasons this could be happening...old oil the consistency of molasses, worn/old cork at contact points between keys, spring tensions not balanced etc. I'm intrigued that it is happening on your recently overhauled Yamaha. Back to the shop, and maybe a second opinion if nothing reasonable is forthcoming kelly

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

Getting the tension and timing just right on the body octave mechanism is one of the tricker areas of fine tuning a horn. As mentioned above, congealed or dirt laden gunk in the hinge tubing and post joints is one possibility, worn out or maladjusted springs is another. One not mentioned yet, but also possible is a bent hinge tube and or hinge rod. Although I work on and restore horns myself, and would have no hesitation fixing this personally, if you are not skilled and experienced in the tech side of horn ownership, I wouldn't recommend disassembling the mechanism yourself. Get the spring tension wrong, loose a cork foot etc. and your problems will be exacerbated. This can usually be put right quite easily and inexpensively by a good tech, and that is who you should turn to.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

17 years ago

I forgot to add, since this is happening on both horns, are you by chance picking up or handling your horns by gripping them at any time in this area of the horn? It sounds as though that might be the root cause i.e. bent hinge tubing/rods.

Reply To Post

1. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

17 years ago

dirt and bent mechanism are the two most common reasons for"slow" key work. clean it and or un bend it then adjust spring tenson on the mechanism.

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Well, you have three people telling you the same thing. The Ayes apparently have it.

Reply To Post

3. by chezmo82
          (2 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I took the Yamaha to Atec repair shop in Clinton Md. It is better now. Repairman thinks its the overtone series. Claims another Yamaha was worked on with same problem. I don't handle the horns around that area and am now more careful where I pick them up. Thanks for the help.

Reply To Post