i'm in highschool and i'm look

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxesofevil
    (24 posts)

16 years ago

Re: cannonball saxes are they good

Extroardinarily good. Keep away from websites. Go to an instrument retailer to buy one or you'll get shafted by the high prices for a high-quality horn that will only last you for 3 mos.

Reply To Post

1. by saxxsymbol
      (217 posts)

16 years ago

" HIGH PRICED HIGH QUALITY HORN THAT WILL ONLY LAST THREE MONTHS "???????????????

Reply To Post

2. by krzykrn88
    (27 posts)

15 years ago

good sound, quite cheap, yet poorly made. given the price, go for classic yas 62.

Reply To Post

3. by scarter6
    (9 posts)

13 years ago

They're actually great. BUT only for jazz. I have one, and I have a friend who has three (two tenors and one alto). They've got a beautiful look and a great, loud and in your face sound, more like Bebop -of course your setup needs to be just as good. If you go to a retailer, you'll pay more money. I actually work on the side at a retail music store. If we buy the horn for $4K, we will turn around and sell it at MSRP, which could add anywhere from $2,000-4,000. I'll be honest, I was skeptical at first, but after trying my friend's, I was hooked. We both play professionally and wouldn't trade our Cannonball for anything

Reply To Post

4. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

17 years ago

Stay away from Ebay. The chances are 50/50 of whether or not you will get ripped off. GO to Music 123 or Woodwind and Brasswind. Also, you dont need to get a Cannonball. You can find more conventionally designed, just as good or better horns on one of the listed sites above, there's free shipping, very low minimum monthly payment plans with no interest, and you get a 45 day trial period. Check out Yanagisawa; you can get some great deals on Yanis and WWBW or 123. Keilwerths are good too; they're what Cannonballs wish they were. Selmer, Yamaha (bleh) and P. Mauriat are some worthwhile names.

Reply To Post

1. by theesaxplayer
      (2 posts)

17 years ago

well i was just asking becuase i could get a cannonball 1998 saltlake city model for somewhere around 1000. it is professionaly tuned and fixed and just has a few minor scratches

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
        (343 posts)

17 years ago

The newer, post-2000 ones aren't bad, but all of the pre-2000 are awfully bright (not in a good way, I mean bright like whiny and top heavy) , and have really bad intonation problems. As far as it being professionally tuned, you can't tune a saxophone. I would still reccomend what I said before. I would still suggest whatever 123 or wwbw's cheapest Yani or Keilwerth is. Even though its costs more (Im thinkin 2000 or so), you can pay it off over a period of time, and the payment plans can be like, $100/mo with no interest. Also, you really can never be sure with Ebay, no matter how legit the seller seems, because its so easy to get ripped off that way regardless of the various forms of buyer protection Ebay provides, AND you don't get to try the horn out before you buy it on Ebay, and you get a month and a half with 123 or wwbw.

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

17 years ago

it doesnt really matter if they "tune it". i think they mean adjust it and when they ship it, IT WILL come out of adjustment. the horns that are shipped brand new from factories with their shipping and packing materials are delivered out of adjustment, so anything an ebayer ships will be too. personally i dont dig cannonaballs to begin with. even the ones after 2000 i have found to not have good tone and have bad intonation. PLAY THE HORN BEFORE YOU BUY IT. music 123 and wwbw give trials on their horns.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by ki4qwq
      (15 posts)

16 years ago

Cannonballs are okay, but only just okay. They're good if you're a whiny, topheavy, scratchy (nails on a chalkboard) kind of player. Yamaha makes the best horn around. I've played (or owned) every major sax, and my Custom Z is at the top of the barrell. Woodwind Brasswind are the people to order from. They give you a 45 day trial, full refunds, and they ship really quickly. With spending more than 90 bucks, you get free second day delivery. Besides, they pack it like you wouldn't believe, and I have perfect intonation. Like the other guy said, stay away from eBay. Half the people make their sales final, and no return policy. You could order a MkVI, and they can send you a teacup and get away with it. Woodwind Brasswind is the place to go. What are you willing to spend? I've got a Super Action 80, or a Reference 54 that I might be willing to part ways with.

Reply To Post

1. by JBTSAX
        (364 posts)

16 years ago

Be careful of people who state their opinions as though they are facts. The Cannonball Big Bell Global Series made from 2001 to 2005 are excellent saxes. The Big Bell Stone Series introduced in 2005 are even better. Some of the models prior to 2001 had softer metal keys and do not hold up as well. There is also a quality difference between the intermediate model Excalibur and the professional model Big Bell as you would expect. Good luck in your search for that new horn. I would suggest going to a store where you can try out several brands and compare rather than taking a chance on E-Bay. John

Reply To Post

1. by ki4qwq
          (15 posts)

16 years ago

Like I said, they're okay. The excalibur is a great horn, but they make better ones for the money. I think, but it varies from player to player.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
            (653 posts)

16 years ago

how about we dont have the arguement if cannonballs are the best horn ever again? that was an annoying post.

Reply To Post

2. by ki4qwq
            (15 posts)

16 years ago

Whose arguing? I said it varies from player to player. They asked for my opinion, and I gave it. I don't like them, and they don't work very well for me. However, if they work great for you, then that's great! Some people may think that they're the best horn, and they could be right. However, I haven't had very good experience with them. Good night.

Reply To Post

3. by cuber
            (653 posts)

16 years ago

im just saying it was annoying to scroll past the Cannonball saxes post a while ago

Reply To Post

4. by ki4qwq
            (15 posts)

16 years ago

okey day. We probably shouldn't be using this forum for an argument {-)

Reply To Post

5. by checkster
            (9 posts)

16 years ago

I would stay away from Cannonball. Not a terrible horn, just not the best for the money. I have a Yamaha 62 and I love it.

Reply To Post