Saxophone Forum


by kellyshorns
(4 posts)
7 years ago

What kind of Alto MP?

Just a quick Poll What kind o

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

  1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

    7 years ago

    Re: What kind of Alto MP?

    For alto, I think there should be at a bare minimum - hard rubber Meyers and Selmer S80's. To go beyond that minimum, I would stock Vandoren Java and Jumbo Java pieces as well as Dukoff D chambers. For tenor, Otto Link Tone Edge and Super Tone Master as a minimum. Then hard rubber Bergs and Dukoff D chambers. Of course there are many others out there, but I think that this selection of pieces would accomodate 95% of the people who would come walking through the door looking for a mouthpiece. The other 5% needing more than that are likely inclined to web-shop or go through a mouthpiece specific dealer.

    Reply To Post


  2. by mrmeyer00
    (11 posts)

    7 years ago

    Re: What kind of Alto MP?

    I currently play on a Beechler hard rubber M7S.....good lead mouthpiece.

    Reply To Post


    1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

      7 years ago

      Re: What kind of Alto MP?

      RPC, but I don't think you'll be able to stock those :( My backup though is a Vandoren Java.

      Reply To Post AIM


      1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

        7 years ago

        Re: What kind of Alto MP?

        Mainly a Morgan jazz model, also a Rico Graftonite.

        Reply To Post


        1. by saxismyaxe
          (574 posts)

          7 years ago

          Re: What kind of Alto MP?

          I'm certainly a fan of Morgan pieces in general. I don't find the Graftonites to be as spectacular (personally) as many do, although I was a fan of the Metalite for the money while it was available. I'll tell you one horn of mine that the Graftonite is outstanding on, and that is my Grafton (Name coincidence or what? :D). It adds a bit of edge and ring that is otherwise missing from the core tone.

          Reply To Post


        2. by The Insomniac Saxman
          (141 posts)

          7 years ago

          Re: What kind of Alto MP?

          My all-purpose piece is a Meyer 6M, but I'm thinking of picking up a 6S. For commercial work, I play on a metal Beechler 7, but am currently searching for a commercial mouthpiece that has a round chamber . . . haven't found one that I like yet, but still haven't tried out the the metal Meyers . . . For legit work, I play a Rousseau NC-4, but am in search of a round chamber here as well . . . haven't found one I like yet. BTW, I have to second all the people supporting Morgan mouthpieces here . . . Ralph Morgan makes the best soprano sax mouthpieces I have ever played!

          Reply To Post


        3. by kellyshorns
          (4 posts)

          7 years ago

          Re: What kind of Alto MP?

          Unfortunately I have had mp's on order from Mr Morgan for 3 years which he seems unable to fill. Nothing strange or large #'s either. It was this that has prompted me to start the search for lines to carry. JodyJazz mp's are quite popular on first go around, Ponzol's less so but they have an edgier sound so will take the right player/style to choose them. Meyer's are quite popular in all chamber sizes, small med and large Rousseau's also have a following tho more to the JDX 6 and 7's. INteresting that in my approaching 30 years in the tech biz I have never run across Beechler's tho I had heard the name. I'm just a wee shop so trying to carry many things is hard. Thanks to all so far for their input. Kelly

          Reply To Post


        4. by definition
          (963 posts)

          7 years ago

          Re: What kind of Alto MP?

          For a small shop, a selection of the basics is probably best. Stock some Selmers, Meyers, Otto Links, and a few other really common basic pieces maybe such as Bergs or Vandoren. Maybe have an option to easily help order some custom pieces like the Ponzols, Jody Jazz, Morgans etc. And o course you can also very easily keep on hand a number of different vintage and used mpcs of any make

          Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM


      2. by cuber
        (653 posts)

        7 years ago

        Re: What kind of Alto MP?

        I double on bari, witch really increased the ammount of air i can push through the horn, if you want a nice open mouthpeice go with a reoussou JDX, if you want something a little more closed go with a otto link

        Reply To Post