hey all, I've been playing alt

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece+reed

dont listen to whoever said learn the tuba, if your going to double try another sax, reedwise, i hate EVERYTHING that is made by rico, go with a vandoren V16 or ZZ, or a alexander DC (the black Box)

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

16 years ago

i don't see what's wrong with rico... I use Ricos in some shape or form on all my saxes, except for sopranino (Vandorens, but occasionally I use a soprano reed to less painfully hit high notes. I use Rico Jazz select on soprano and bari, and orange-box on alto and tenor, and on all, the whole range comes out, bottom to top, with about an octave of altissimo, if not more, on each. I will agree that Vandorens are very good reeds, but I don't see why all the acclaim goes to them and everyone but Rico. P.S. I also play tuba :)

Reply To Post

2. by mbrock
    (12 posts)

17 years ago

In my opinion, I think you need to change your brand of reed. This won't fix all of your problems, but try Vandoren or LaVoz reeds. For your mouthpiece problem, why not get two mouthpieces, one for jazz and one for legit? I play on my Meyer 5M for jazz, and my Selmer C* for legit. A source of the problem could also be your saxophone. What kind of sax do you play on?

Reply To Post

1. by noobie123
      (4 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. About the mouthpieces...I don't have nearly enough extra money to buy two mouthpieces, I'm gonna have to pick one. As for my sax, I just got it checked today and they said it was fine...but FYI, I play a PRESTINI..not the best saxophone in the world, but it's not too bad (at least for me-high school level)

Reply To Post

1. by noobie123
        (4 posts)

17 years ago

also...do you think it's the strength of my reed's problem? should I stay with a 3, increase, or decrease?

Reply To Post

1. by stevo
          (17 posts)

16 years ago

Try the Vandoren V16 / 2 or 2.5 , softer reed less fatigue . stevo

Reply To Post

2. by edoney
          (20 posts)

17 years ago

I don't think the reed strength is a problem. I've played a Meyer 5m for 30+ years with 3 or 3 1/2. It could be just a bad reed or (unfortunately) the mouthpiece is not faced properly. Try another reed, maybe another brand of reed and ask a more experience player to try the mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

3. by noobie123
          (4 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks. Do new mouth pieces make a huge huge difference for a player like me who is still pretty much a inexperienced player?

Reply To Post

2. by mjohnnie
        (66 posts)

17 years ago

Rico 3 should be fine. I recommend playing long tones, taking in more mouthpiece than you generally do. It'll sound horrid at first, but keep at it, and you'll be getting a much better sound. Make sure that you're playing an A concert on the mouthpiece alone (f# on alto). On tenor it should be a G with the mouthpiece alone (tenor note A). Think also blowing warm air, like you're trying to fog up a windowpane. Cheers

Reply To Post

3. by Ciaran
        (3 posts)

17 years ago

Hey buddy. If your on a budget and want to get slightly better reeds, maybe try the Hemke's in the silver box. Still made by Rico, but I think its a better product. Since I dont have the cash for super mouthpieces and ligatures and hand picked reeds and such, just find something comfortable, and worry more about lots of practice. Nothing replaces practice. And learn the tuba, its good for air support and embochure. Not to mention your band teacher will love you!

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

17 years ago

The didgeridoo is also good for developing a strong steady air flow, and it forces you to engage your throat muscles (for all the different tones) which I think is an often neglected aspect of good saxophone playing. although I imagine a didge isn't that easy to come by outside of Oz... you also need a real player and not something made with the tourist in mind, which I guess would be nearly impossible to find.

Reply To Post