I have a copy of the Francois

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by carltonjazz
    (25 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Ultimale LS Tenor Sax Ligature

there are caps that are designed for that specific ligature. I forget where I got mine but you kinda have to look. I knoe mouthpiece heaven had some but since they changed they kinda suck. Does saxquest not carry a cap in their accesories section?

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

17 years ago

The cap that came with the mouthpiece is the problem. (it was designed for the ligature.) They sell the Ultimate reed protectors on this site. The ligature is terrific but the reed protector isn't very hot. Has anyone found out this to be true and have found a solution?.........Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

17 years ago

I'm with you Kelsey - the caps absolutely suck and I've not found way around it except to push the lig as far back on the piece as possible to get the cap to grip a little better. This might be a pain, but wrapping a rubber band around it will help keep it on. My solution is to put the mouthpiece in a small zippered case that is just big enough to fit the mouthpiece inside of it - then the cap doesn't have room to fall off.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

17 years ago

Performing on stage is the problem. I also play piano and flute and I want the reed on my tenor to stay moist on the sax while I'm not playing it. Right now I just put the reed protector that came with the ligature loosely over the mouthpiece. A slight bump will send it flying. When storeing the horn In my sax case I have to take the reed off the horn, store the ligature in a box, and also store the mouthpiece separately. It's a great ligature and it does help my sound but this problem is hard to live with.......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by allthewoodwinds
        (12 posts)

17 years ago

I used a regular Rovner plastic cap and cut it so that the side pieces slid under the ligature wires (for want of a more descriptive term) and it always held tight and protected my reed(s). It's hard to explain without showing a pic of how I cut and trimmed the cap, but I ended up selling the lig and cap with a BARI metal tenor mpc on e-Bay . The guy was amazed at how I figured out how to do it. I used to keep digital pics of all the mouthpieces, ligs and caps I owned, but my last computer's hard drive crashed will all the pics. I should've backed it up. Yes, I one of those people who've gone through dozens (read 52) mouthpieces since I started playing more than 30 years ago. And I at least kept a listing of all of them. Geez, could've purchased a new sax with all that money spent.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

17 years ago

I have a couple of Rovner plastic caps around. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

17 years ago

Hey Kelsey, Try some plastic pipe and a cap. You could cut and profile, thread a cap on, and drill an air hole in it. I've never used a mouthpiece cap. I just suck on the reed until it tastes soggy enough. Good luck with that :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ