I've been playing on Vandoren

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Christian Anderson
    (73 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Vandoren ZZ Reeds

I've been using blue box for 2 years and recently got some zz's. they run a bit more soft than the blue box and have a thicker heel. i like them a lot....

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

16 years ago

I find zzs buzzy and weak- they don't last too long. I'm leaning more in the other direction- V16s.

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
    (653 posts)

16 years ago

V16's are great, but if you prefer a freer blowing setup, try alexander DC's (the black box)

Reply To Post

1. by beef jerkey
      (2 posts)

16 years ago

I dont know I like the ZZS after the break in a bit they are easy blowing and they produce a mean but sometimes fuzzy sound. I find it easy to play and easy to play loud which I do well.

Reply To Post

3. by ki4qwq
    (15 posts)

16 years ago

They take forever to break in. You spend 3 days softening them up, one day of good tone, and then they sound like crap. IMHO! Plus, they are very absorbant, so they get weighted down by your saliva, and tend to get UBER-FUZZY

Reply To Post

4. by jazzy JJ
    (5 posts)

16 years ago

I've recently tried the Vandoren ZZ and really like the tone i get. I've also played alot on Rico Jazz Select, at this point i'm prefering the ZZ. But at this point I'm still trying different reeds. How about a plastic Bari?

Reply To Post

1. by JazzSeraph
      (8 posts)

16 years ago

Well peeps, I'm playin on Rico Jazz Selects (switched from Javas) and they make a pretty good sound. On the Bari plastics.......they suck....no way around it. I would use one for marching band in order to cut thru all the noise, but for jazz? Unless you like the loud, obnoxious, grating sound, then knock yerself out. But hey, this is just my opinion. You'll never kno if you like em or not until you play em

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

16 years ago

I like a lively sound and the ZZ's really help provide that. Tradeoff being longevity, unfortunately.

Reply To Post