Hi All This is actually the s

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece for a newbie

Middle number. Idk why your teacher told you to get a 7M... I would recommend a 5M or a 6M; play both and pick the one you like better; but Id keep it to 5M or 6M. And what on earth is a Solo Sax?

Reply To Post

1. by Desperado
      (7 posts)

16 years ago

too late she cried!!!... already orderd and on it's way to australia... well, will play on the 7M, and if it is hard will order a 5M too... i take it the 7M is harder to use? LOL - the Solo is the make of this saxaphone... it is a rental, i was told (by the shop owner, who obviously has no vested interest what so ever) that it was a decent quality saxaphone for a learner... i wanna get the Yamaha ...62II... but have 2 months to decide. Cheers for your reply Steve

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
    (653 posts)

16 years ago

before you dish out 2-3 grand on a pro horn after you've been playing for one month, you should buy a less expensive horn first, try a YAS-475 i have one, id recemend it to anyone, its cheaper than yamaha's student line, but its better than their student horns, chances are your solo sax was made in china, and in a few years the thing will start to fall apart. do you play alto/tenor/bari? for the mouthpeice, the lower the number, the more closed the opening, which is better for beginners because you havent developed your lungs properly yet

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
      (343 posts)

16 years ago

But the thing about very closed mouthpieces (very low numbers, i.e., 2 or 3 (I dont even think Meyer makes anything that close), is that beginners tend to have overly firm embouchres, making it dificult to play on a very small piece. But yeah, you dhouldnt get a pro horn yet. A YAS 475 is fine, and the current production Jupiter student horns aren't bad.

Reply To Post

1. by Desperado
        (7 posts)

16 years ago

strange, i have replied a couple of times and not seen it on here. thanks for the input so far guys... i really appreciate it. the only reason i was thinking of the pro horn is that i know that in a year or so when i become more proficient with a horn i will probably want to upgrade - so unless it is harder to learn on, i would rather spend the extra thousand or so on a better horn than have to sell my student one and then buy a better horn... not that i even know the differnce between a student and a pro horn... went past the store today and WOW what a difference from the sax i have to a yamaha...wow!!!

Reply To Post