Hey guys and gals, first post

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Decent stage mic

SM 58 is a good choice. Also good to sing through (if you're Irish, I know you can sing!). The other advantage to a 58 is that sound men all know how to work with them. I've never heard a clip-on that I liked yet. They get too much of the "bell" sound and not enough from the open keys. Regards to Durty Nellie's.

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

16 years ago

+1 for the SM58

Reply To Post

2. by Mucaro
    (2 posts)

16 years ago

cool guys thanks for the info, been pricing them, any particular ones or are they much of muchness really? Does anyone use any pedals? Tried playing through a wah-wah in a drunken gig with little success, but Uncle Jack might have had a part to play in that failed venture into uncharted waters. Am looking to spend a bit of money on stage equipment/sax accessories, anyone anything handy they love? I've got a deadly little stand, very stable and steady - Konig&Meyer, didn't pay a whole lot but its never let me down. regards to all and sundry Rob

Reply To Post

1. by saxmannwmsu
      (48 posts)

16 years ago

Another one from the SM58. That's all we used to mic our solos for the longest time until we got some nice condensers.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

16 years ago

The Shure SM-57 is a good workhorse for saxophone . . . durable and road-worthy . . . personally, I prefer it over the SM-58 on saxophone. However, if you're planning on something that can work for recording as well, you may want to drop a few extra bucks and consider the Sennheiser MD-421 or MD-441. I'm a fan of the MD-441, but there's nothing wrong with the MD-421 (I've used both for live and recording). If you want a good affordable clip-on, try to get your hands on an AKG D-409 (when I go wired on stage, that's what I use) . . . they may be out of production now, but you can find them occasionally on eBay (I picked a couple up on eBay for $79 a piece) . . . it's a dynamic mic, and has a fatter and warmer sound than its condenser counterparts (C-409, C-419), plus it doesn't require phantom power. Of course, I wouldn't use it for recording . . . Best of luck!

Reply To Post

4. by basiliko
    (21 posts)

16 years ago

I've used seinheisers , shure beta 58 & if your going for clip on or wireless ...I prefer the audio technicas...they cut through better than the overpriced shure wireless units.

Reply To Post