hi guys, After a couple of mon

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by thelittlemarchingone
    (50 posts)

16 years ago

Re: reed problem

Any reed problems I've had like that have been due to using Rovner ligs or something like them. Seriously, I think they suck, they just dont' work for me. Is that what you were using on the Meyer also? Trying using a standard two-screw metal lig if you have one or can get ahold of one cheap. I have Vandoren Optimums for my sop, alto, and clarinet, but the simple two screw lig that came with my tenor rocks so much I havne't changed it. Also, what kind of reeds are you playing on?

Reply To Post

1. by Sonja
      (7 posts)

16 years ago

Yeah, I was using the Rovner on the Meyer and it worked fine. I play Rico Jazz Select 2H reeds. Was thinking maybe I should try a softer reed as the tip opening is much larger than my Meyer, which is a 5. Thanks for the tip, will have to try another ligature. Afterall, what works for one mouthpiece doesn't necessarily work for others, right?

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
        (279 posts)

16 years ago

Ironically I think a harder reed will solve your problem. Thin reeds are less resilient and your new wider tip opening would have the reed doing much more work. I reckon that's why they're dying so quickly.

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

Re: reed problémo

hey what's the pop test.

Reply To Post

2. by Sonja
          (7 posts)

16 years ago

the pop test shows you whether the reed and mouthpiece are working. cover the mouthpiece back end with your palm and suck air through the mouthpiece. if the reed sticks to the mouthpiece for a bit and makes a pop sound it means it's working. if it doesn't, there could be something wrong with your mouthpiece or reed. hope i'm explaining it properly. that's why i think my problem indeed lies with the ligature, not with the mouthpiece as my reeds weren't "popping" with the meyer mouthpiece either.

Reply To Post

3. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

16 years ago

What do you mean by working? Lots of people really don't go by the pop test. Many great mouthpieces fail that test and still play fine. If a ligature magically solves your problem then great. I honestly don't think it will make a huge difference, I've used a simple two screw ligature on everything and it works fine.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

vibrating in a bigger arc and getting more wear. it's material science. I agree about the lig.

Reply To Post