16 years ago

Re: Darker Sound

Try a Rovner dark lig , you never know , their pretty cheap. Stevo

Reply To Post

2. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

16 years ago

you could experiment using progressively stiffer reeds. One of my first teachers ran adhesive tape down the body of his horn, claiming it darkened the sound...I thought that was a pretty dumb idea..also, the mpc chamber will have a definite effect.

Reply To Post

1. by nmoleski1
      (4 posts)

16 years ago

well I have tried the rovner ligature and it doesnt make much difference. I currently use the Vandoren Optima. As far as MP's I also have a Meyer 7 large chamber and it is a bit darker but the high end is out of control... What dimensions of the MP effect "darkness". Any thoughts about necks made with heavier metals?

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

16 years ago

Meyer has an open chamber and a low baffle which goes toward a dark tone, and don't fall for all the marketing hype nmoleski. A new neck isn't going to make your tone great, that's your job. Practice practice practice. Good teachers always help.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

I agree with the Count...expert guidance by a qualified instructor and lots of practice..also dedicated listening to players whose sound you,d like to emulate..also, try playing along with cd's made by these players..it helps you realize what you're aiming for..this will help. I use a Phil Barrone hard rubber mouthpiece on alto, and can get a darker or brighter sound by manipulating my embrochure..mostly lower lip position..Dave Liebman has written a fine book called "Developing a Personal Saxophone" Sound.You might check it out.

Reply To Post

2. by nmoleski1
          (4 posts)

16 years ago

ok ok, my tone is fine, I practice. Perhaps you are missing the point of my question or perhaps I didnt make it clearly. What I really am interested in is the physical characteristics of the mouthpiece that effect tone quality (darknes) and the differences in necks related to that. I agree I can change my tonal quality with my emboucher. But that is true to only a certain extent. I do find it hard to compare mouthpieces based on manufacture labeling and the charts I have found usually only show tip opening. SO I dont even know which mouthpieces are worth trying for comparison etc...

Reply To Post

3. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

contact Peter Ponzol @ peterponzon.com...he'll tell ya all about neck pieces

Reply To Post

4. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

16 years ago

Uhh...Physical characteristics of the mouthpiece? mouthpiecemuseum.com/MouthpieceMuseum/Baffles.html mouthpiecemuseum.com/MouthpieceMuseum/Chambers.html Necks, won't do you much difference as a mouthpiece.

Reply To Post AIM

5. by nmoleski1
          (4 posts)

16 years ago

nice... good charts. But the problem still remains. How do find out which mouthpiece has which baffle or chamber? Most charts only show tip opening?

Reply To Post

6. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

16 years ago

I am going to concur with the rest of the posters. To my knowledge, there isn't a "thing " you can purchase to make your sound darker. If your tone is fine, then changing your set-up isn't going to be the difference maker. You've heard it a thousand times before, but what you have to do is long tones. Lots and lots of long tones til you have changed the tambre of your tone.

Reply To Post

7. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

16 years ago

By looking or asking people who have seen the mouthpiece. If you want a particular type maybe you can say what your looking for mouthpiece wise and we can get close to that.

Reply To Post AIM

8. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

really, find a cd by some player whose tone you admire..play along and try to capture his or her sound..really ....this works

Reply To Post

9. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

also, check out the legit pieces..round chamber, deep baffle, etc.

Reply To Post