hello. just to understand - ho

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Re: mouthpiece facing

The higher the number, the louder and brighter the piece will play (The number refers to the distance between the tip of the reed and the tip of the mouthpiece when the reed is properly secured to the mpc). However, you will have to use softer reeds as the numbers get higher. Dukoffs are bright. They also respond poorly, are not reed friendly, are difficult to play low notes on, dont play quietly, and have wicked intonation problems as the higher the note goes, the sharper the note gets. You might want to try a Vandoren Jumbo Java or a V16 with a large tip opening (8A or 9A). If you can afford to spend more, SR Techs and Guardalas are great pieces that play nice and bright (thats what you want, right?)

Reply To Post

1. by Dagnje
      (8 posts)

16 years ago

yeah, i like bright sound. and also i wanted to try metal mpc. i live in moscow and here is not that good product line. should find someone sells or order from abroad. i saw meyer metal jazz in the shop recently. how is it showing up? you can see here if you want mariachi.ru/?kit=WSA&acs=Мундштук thanks a lot!

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

16 years ago

I got a Dukoff D8 from musiciansfriend.com a few weeks ago and it plays pretty well. Using Java 2.5s if you like that funkiness I liked it. Couldn't find much wrong with it except it felt a smidge too closed for me.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Dagnje
          (8 posts)

16 years ago

too closed? i thought D8 is quite open, no? and what about D9 and D10 then, are they open?

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

16 years ago

Yeah, they're OPEN. You wouldnt like metal Meyers if you want bright. Remember, its more the inside and tip opening/facing that affects the sound than the material used to make the mouthpiece. Marcel Mule used a metal piece for a while, and in the early 70s, Mike Brecker was playing on a hard rubber mpc. For a good selection on gear and great customer service, go to www.wwbw.com (the acclaimed woodwind and brasswind).

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

16 years ago

This is a list of different mouthpiece manufacturer's facings that I have found to be pretty accurate. www.saxophone.org/facings.html The baffle and chamber design, tip opening, and the material ALL effect the sound and the intonation of the horn. Some designs work better with some horns than with others. For alto, I would suggest a facing with a tip opening between .070, and .090. Mouthpieces with a tip opening greater than .095 I wouldn't really recommend for most players. wwbw is great. So is www.giardinelli.com Both have an excellent selection and unbeatable prices. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by Dagnje
          (8 posts)

16 years ago

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Giardinelli is affiliated with Musician's Friend. I have been dealing with both companies for years and I have had very good luck with them. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!