Saxophone Forum

by ContrabassSax
(10 posts)
16 years ago

-BARI SAXOPHONE ADVICE (2)-

Hi, I'm looking to somehow trade into a bari. Now Please recommend a few brands that can be had at resonable prices. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Re: -BARI SAXOPHONE ADVICE (2)-

Good names for inexpensive, quality baris: P. Mauriat Yanigisawa (the 901s are pretty reasonably priced) Yamaha Conn (used) Martin (used) Possibly the Couf Superba

Reply To Post

1. by ContrabassSax
      (10 posts)

16 years ago

Yes, it would be an H. Couf Superba I. I now understand (out of what i've read) why you would not consider Weltklang, but why not Amati? I have been very interested in the P. Mauriats and the Yanagisawas, but they are more than I can afford at the time. Thanks for your advice, Ben

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
        (343 posts)

16 years ago

The Couf is probably alright. I havent played any Couf baris, but I had a student with a pretty decent Couf Superba alto and one time on the gig, my soprano got dinged pretty bad, and Grover Washington was playing the next set, and he let me use his Couf Superba soprano and it was a really fine instrument. As for Amatis, also from personal experience, one fateful session, I had to use an Amati bari for lack of a better horn, and I had to make horrid faces and oral contortions to get the upper register that extra quarter step down to the land of the in tune, so, avoid Amati baris like a plague. Really? how much are you trying to spend?

Reply To Post

1. by ContrabassSax
          (10 posts)

16 years ago

I've read that the Couf Superba I baris from the 70s were better than Selmers around that time (including the Mark VI). Thank you very much on the information about the Amati bari. I'm not really planning on spending money if possible, but trading in my soprano and alto for a baritone at a store near me. Thanks, Ben

Reply To Post

2. by ContrabassSax
          (10 posts)

16 years ago

I'm also considering a Buescher, silver-plated (Low Bb to High F) Baritone. I have experience in playing sax, but CERTAINLY none in knowing what horns are good horns. (Haha...i started off playing a cheaply-made Chinease sax). So what do you think of a Buescher bari sax? I've heard they are supposed to be good.

Reply To Post