i just got a The Martin Alto,

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MartinAlto08
    (1 post)

16 years ago

Re: The Martin Alto setup

I also recently purchased a 1948 Martin alto. Beautiful horn. Origional lacquer, case, mouthpiece. All in amazing condition. I'm very interested in the general opinion of a mouthpiece that would compliment the horns darker sound. Any pointers?? I'm still a student and am willing to learn.

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Dont use a modern mouthpiece on a vintage horn, especially if its a modern Dukoff, in which case you shouldnt use it on anything. If you can afford it, maybe an old meyer, but if not, a Morgan would be a good choice. Those go well with older horns.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

I have played a "new york" meyer, and ill be the first to say its a good mouthpiece, i find it hard to dish out 600 george washingtons for it. i got to thinking about a metal otto link, even though that does break the "never put a vintage horn with a modern mouthpiece" rule. I played a rubber link on a new wonder for a while, and it worked well

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
        (343 posts)

16 years ago

Yea, old Meyers are pricey. Maybe a rubber link? The most important part is that the mpc has a real open chamber, as that is what old horns are built to go along with. Check out Morgans, though.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

ill check out a morgan, i have a rubber link, lacked punch. its kinda closed though, ill try a more open one

Reply To Post