i just got a The Martin Alto,

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MartinAlto08
    (1 post)

7 years ago

Re: The Martin Alto setup

I also recently purchased a 1948 Martin alto. Beautiful horn. Origional lacquer, case, mouthpiece. All in amazing condition. I'm very interested in the general opinion of a mouthpiece that would compliment the horns darker sound. Any pointers?? I'm still a student and am willing to learn.

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

7 years ago

Dont use a modern mouthpiece on a vintage horn, especially if its a modern Dukoff, in which case you shouldnt use it on anything. If you can afford it, maybe an old meyer, but if not, a Morgan would be a good choice. Those go well with older horns.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

7 years ago

I have played a "new york" meyer, and ill be the first to say its a good mouthpiece, i find it hard to dish out 600 george washingtons for it. i got to thinking about a metal otto link, even though that does break the "never put a vintage horn with a modern mouthpiece" rule. I played a rubber link on a new wonder for a while, and it worked well

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
        (343 posts)

7 years ago

Yea, old Meyers are pricey. Maybe a rubber link? The most important part is that the mpc has a real open chamber, as that is what old horns are built to go along with. Check out Morgans, though.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

7 years ago

ill check out a morgan, i have a rubber link, lacked punch. its kinda closed though, ill try a more open one

Reply To Post