I just bought an ottolink 7* f

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

16 years ago

Re: reeds for ottolink?

I use Vandoren V16, 2 strength. I'm not so sure on an alto piece, but a Selmer lig for their metal mouthpieces works well on tenor.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Generally with a mouthpiece that has an open facing, like a 7*, you'll want to use a softer reed. I'm not a big fan of Vandoren V-16's personally. Try whatever brand of reed that you are used to, only like blackfrancis said, I'd try a #2. I don't like the ligatures that come with my Otto Link metals either. I've had problems keeping them tight. I use a Rovner lig that was made for an Otto Link Super Tone Master. You can order them online through Giardinelli, or WWBW. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

16 years ago

i use an old Selmer metal to cut through electric guitars, and i like Van Doren traditional 2 1/2. An alto doesn't need the brilliance that a tenor does. You want to cut through, but preserve the pristine tone of the alto.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

Is this a metal ottto link? The LInks are great pieces, but I find their ligatures to be suspect. (I'm being kind). I know the metal Selmer alto ligs work great on the metal tenor pieces, but don't know if they'd fit the alto..Optima is a nice ligature..You might try the Vandoren Java reeds..I have pretty good luck with those..(2 1/2) Keep the faith!

Reply To Post