Ok...so I had heard some thing

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Alexander Reeds

well, this is certainly interesting..I've never tried Alexander, but you post has piqued (?) my interest...how do the labeled strengths compare to Vandoren?

Reply To Post

1. by mbrock
      (12 posts)

16 years ago

The strengths of Alexanders reeds seem to be very similar to Vandorens...although I never did a direct comparison...

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Alexanders are great reeds. I especially like them for alto. Have you tried LaVoz? The bad thing about LaVoz is that rather than using numbers, they're labeled soft, med. soft. med. med. hard. and hard. I really like LaVoz reeds for tenor. I use a med. reed on a vintage Otto Link Super Tone Master Florida metal mouthpiece, played on a vintage 1948 Conn 10M. What a sound!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Mobile Band
        (27 posts)

14 years ago

I like the yellow Alexander also for alto a lot. They have a nioce and easy response, through their soft tip. Maybe this soft tip is the reason, why other reeds may work longer. (I speak only of the yellow ones, with the others I do not have much experience.) Jazzband Berlin

Reply To Post

1. by afogartie
          (6 posts)

13 years ago

I play Alexander NY on a King Super 20 bari. Love them!

Reply To Post

2. by tempomaster
        (36 posts)

13 years ago

I've been experimenting with various reed brands for the past six months. I heard all good things about Alexander reeds so I bought a five pack to try them out. I had been using mostly Vandoren Jazz reeds. I've given this a fair assessment, didn't just blow them for a week or two. A bad Vandoren reed is better than a good Alexander reed - true. So I highly recommend Vandoren but I also found another great reed that is just as consistant and maybe just a tad - small tad - better. I would have to say that after trying several brands the best reed, for me anyway, is the Gonzalez reed. Try one - you'll like 'em.

Reply To Post