I am in the market for a sax h

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

16 years ago

Re: sax harness

I've tried several different types..I can't remember the brands...I find them to be such a hassle to put on and take off that I went back to my good old Ray Hyman strap from the 50's. Maybe if I were playing a lot of bari sax..but otherwise...

Reply To Post

2. by
    (3 posts)

16 years ago

I've tried the BG harness and the Neotech harness for my tenor. They take the weight off my neck, but I've found that they end up making my shoulders tense up. They also seem to make the horn too low for me even if I adjust them as high as they'll go.

Reply To Post

3. by rebav
    (9 posts)

16 years ago

The only thing a sax harness might be at all helpful for is marching band, and that just depends on what your band does. I know I found that it was just a huge hassle and it looks ridiculous, especially when you're dressed up for a concert or performance. My suggestion is look for a really good neckstrap and stick with it, I've used the same one since 8th grade. If you're really looking for the harness though, I can't really recommend anything unless you want to buy mine. Just look at your local music/instrument stores and make sure to take your horn with you to make sure it fits right. You may also try ordering one from online. Be prepared to spend about $40 on a decent harness. rebav

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

16 years ago

For the first 20 years of my playing career I used a neck strap. I started having muscle spasms in my neck and back. I was playing in the pit band at Six Flags Over Texas. A fellow sax player suggested that I try a sax harness. I took his advice and have continually used it sense. My present harness is a BC which I bought from Brasswind and Woodwind. I would never go back to a neck strap. It's the right thing for me......Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by rebav
        (9 posts)

16 years ago

that's your personal preference. The only thing I can really think of is that maybe the neckstrap wasn't really fitting right. Check out Neotech and see if they have any harnesses. One of my buddies (who used to play bari) had one and said it was great. Like I said, I just found the harness a hassle to get on and off or move the bari around with. Avery

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

16 years ago

I just remembered the down side. When I wear a tux the harness dosen't allow me to button my jacket. I have overcome this by wearing a vest.........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by rebav
          (9 posts)

16 years ago

That's one of the main reasons I stopped using the harness. Also, if you have anything in the breast pockets, it can break them. I had to replace a military ribbon rack b/c the harness snapped it in two b/c of the way it sat. Try a neckstrap again just for kicks and giggles and see if it's any better. You may see about asking a sax player in your area if they can see if you're wearing it wrong or have the wrong style for the bari(being as heavy as it is) Avery

Reply To Post

3. by rebav
          (9 posts)

16 years ago

I did find this web-site, check it out and see if there's anything worth while in there. One of the things that might work for you is the shoulder strap, I think it might be the hybrid between the strap and the harness. 1stopclarinet.stores.yahoo.net/malyandst1.html Avery

Reply To Post

4. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

16 years ago

I once got to a gig and had forgotten my neck strap. (This was before I switched to harness). I ended up useing a coat hanger. Now that wasn't the most comfortable rig I've used over the years..........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

ouch! sounds painful! I use a Neotech neckstrap for my alto. never tried a body harness, though it would be useful if I seriously took up bari.

Reply To Post

6. by gtwright
          (5 posts)

16 years ago

I bought a sax harness one day. It fit. Yay! I used it in a school district festival. I'm a teacher & sat in with an elementary band (on bari) to help the low instruments. Part way through, another teacher came over to say, "That's a very nice bra you're wearing." Being overweight, I have some extra "pectoral." Not good for men. I thank him for telling me. I tried to loosen things up enough so that black straps pulling white cloth over me didn't look like a bra. The answer: The harness is great! I bought some nylon strap & Made My Own. My bari is much nicer to use for long concerts. Be Careful.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by gtwright
          (5 posts)

16 years ago

I bought a sax harness one day. It fit. Yay! I used it in a school district festival. I'm a teacher and sat in with an elementary band (on bari) to help the low instruments. Part way through, another teacher came over to say, That's a very nice bra you're wearing. Being overweight, I have some extra "pectoral." Not good for men. I thank him for telling me. I tried to loosen things up enough so that black straps pulling white cloth over me didn't look like a bra. The answer: The harness is great! I bought some nylon strap and Made My Own. My bari is much nicer to use for long concerts. Be Careful.

Reply To Post Yahoo!