Does anyone have much experien

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Rico Plasticover reeds

No, but they are the worst synthetic reeds I or anyone I know has ever played on. Hahn makes pretty decent synthetics, and so does Legere. And if you know what you're doing, you can shave a Fibracell so that it plays really well. But if Wal-Mart sold sax reeds, Plasticovers are what they'd sell.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

16 years ago

They are worth a try as much as anything else. I think the only drawback is that if you want to adjust the reed, you have to take away the plastic coating in that area.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

16 years ago

The advantage for plastic reeds is you don't have to get them wet to use them. If you are playing a show that is mainly flute you can pick the saxophone up and play, the reed hasn't dried out. On regular bambo reeds they dry out if set too long and get little waves in them. However, I don't use them even during shows because I haven't found one that gives me the sound that I want. Buy one and try it, you never know?.....Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by BVan342
    (1 post)

16 years ago

they aren't plastic reeds.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

16 years ago

They're covered with plastic...I'd call it plastic.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

16 years ago

well. actually, they're a cane reed with an applied plastic coating, so I'm not sure they could technically be considered to be a plastic reed, rather a reed shaped object....being that the plastics aren't really reeds. but rather plastic vibrating devices..whatever..I've yet to find one I thought was worth the effort, let alone the money..and I feel that the cats playing on them may sound good..but I bet they'd sound better on cane. Cane seems to give a warmer sound..to me anyway.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

by the way, I'm only getting the first few words of the initial post..does anybody know what's up with that?

Reply To Post

2. by azurealto
          (79 posts)

16 years ago

no idea. its been like this for days, and im getting to the end of my temper about it.

Reply To Post

3. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

you arent going to ask someone what kind of "plasitc vibrating device" someone plays, are you? there are a couple posts where only a couple words show up

Reply To Post

4. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

Man! the whole site seems to be acting up! and, I would ask some one what kind of plastic vibrating device they use, just outta curiosity..I know Ernie Watts uses synthetic, What was the bari player's name who used synthetic..his wife claimed it caused his lip cancer..urban rumors?...my theory is that there is an enzyme in cane that gradually causes reed players to go crazy..right on for the brother/sister hood!

Reply To Post

5. by mvspur
          (9 posts)

16 years ago

Fibracell Premier 2.5 on every horn I own. I used to play on Rico Plasticover reeds back in the late 80's. They worked well for what I needed them for (certain situations). Best on the Bari, if you ask me. I will never buy a cane reed again though. If you guys haven't tried Fibracell, you don't know what you are missing. All of the hassle is GONE. They play the same way every time you pick up your horn and they last FOREVER if you rotate and take care of them. Just my $.02 worth, Take care.....

Reply To Post

6. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

actually, I have tried fibracell and couldn't hang..to much plastic sound..to much resistance yes, I shaved a few..just don't care for the sound, but, hey...different strokes, ya know...that's why there are so many different styles and brands out there..whatever makes it through the afternoon..I like van dorens, and believe me , I've tried a bunch of reeds over the last 35 years

Reply To Post