I played the saxophone for abo

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tranesyadaddy
    (279 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Tone and Embouchure

I dig. I use an embouchure like that because I like the darker, more complex tone it gives me. It also makes me play flat, so I've spent alot of time learning to control my tuning with my throat. you can do it on a meyer 6m, that's what I now use on alto.

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
      (205 posts)

16 years ago

Most of the players I encounter today (myself included) tend to use the type of embouchere you are describing. I try to tell young students to say "Ooo" rhymes with dew. That gives your lower lip a cushion that will help the reed vibrate. It also engages the muscles around your mouth. The embouchere control should come from your muscles and jaw not from your lower lip being rock hard by tucking it over your bottom teeth. As you get better at this try rolling your bottom lip out even further. That helps the darker tone like Tranesyadaddy was talking about. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by JBTSAX
        (364 posts)

16 years ago

That is an interesting response Kristy. When you play is any portion of your lower lip pushed back on top of the teeth or is all of the lower lip entirely in front of the teeth? Also do you play any legit or classical music with this type of embouchure or just jazz. Thanks. John

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

16 years ago

Hi Speedy, When i was a child my teacher tied a hankerchief around my chin just below my lower lip. This was cure my curling of the lower lip. He tied it tight to the point of pain. Nowadays kids want to wake up and be able to play. I also think that playing clarinet is good for your embouchere. I like the the embouchere Reginald Gel used too, but it is a double curl. Benny Goodman took lessons from Reginald Gel, to overcome his fear of the crack, which is the transition from low to high notes. The main thing you have to do is practice relentlessly. If you want to be good , you have to develope those crack note jumps from the bottom of the horn to the top in one leap. I think the 6MM is a little tinny for your experience. Alto doesn't need brilliance. I use am old Selmer classic metal that Fred Hemke hipped me to and a couple Meyer 5's. I think that you need a teacher at least for a few weeks to watch your embouchure, Good luck with that Speedy :) terry

2. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

16 years ago

Hi Speedy, When i was a child my teacher tied a hankerchief around my chin just below my lower lip. This was cure my curling of the lower lip. He tied it tight to the point of pain. Nowadays kids want to wake up and be able to play. I also think that playing clarinet is good for your embouchere. I like the the embouchere Reginald Gel used too, but it is a double curl. Benny Goodman took lessons from Reginald Gel, to overcome his fear of the crack, which is the transition from low to high notes. The main thing you have to do is practice relentlessly. If you want to be good , you have to develope those crack note jumps from the bottom of the horn to the top in one leap. I think the 6MM is a little tinny for your experience. Alto doesn't need brilliance. I use am old Selmer classic metal that Fred Hemke hipped me to and a couple Meyer 5's. I think that you need a teacher at least for a few weeks to watch your embouchure, Good luck with that Speedy :) terry

3. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

16 years ago

Hey speedy i meant Reginald Kell not Gel. i'm so old now that i am suffering from dementia. Good luck with your tone and embouchere :) Terry

2. by speedy_1424
        (23 posts)

16 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for all the help! I got some advice recently to go back to the lip in embouchure, but tweak it a little bit. I was using too much lip and was way too loose (which i didn't think was possible). I'm really starting to enjoy the sound that i'm developing. Thank you for all the advice!

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
          (205 posts)

16 years ago

JBT--yes. You do have just the smallest portion of lower lip covering your bottom teeth so the lower teeth don't touch the reed. I roll the lip in a bit more for legit out more for jazz. In addition taking more mouthpiece into the mouth for legit helps access the heart of the reed for a more pure sound. To accomplish this I usually pull up the neck strap a little higher than when playing jazz. Kristy

1. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

16 years ago

I used to save my money to get high amd often times used a coat hanger for a neck strap. You have to hold that horn up and play at the same time. Alto is light but tenor is a handful after a few songs. I wouldn't trade those days foe the world.Kristy i will open a new e-mail account. I'll catch up to you Terry

1. by speedy_1424
              (23 posts)

16 years ago

Haha! What!? That is so random, lol!

Reply To Post

2. by azurealto
              (79 posts)

16 years ago

i play without my lower lip curled in or out.

Reply To Post

3. by Tranesyadaddy
              (279 posts)

16 years ago

I thought that's what he meant. but yeah my bottom lip pretty much just goes where it is.

Reply To Post

4. by chalazon
              (547 posts)

16 years ago

check out Dave Liebman's book "Developing A Personal Saxophone Sound". It pretty much says it all.

Reply To Post