I am new here to the forum. I

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by thesaxbro
    (3 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Just a thought......

Oh and feel free to check out my band, The Wiseguys. www.mtbwiseguys.org www.myspace.com/mtbwiseguys

Reply To Post AIM

1. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

16 years ago

i did an experiment with an old vito, i took it apart brushed it with "citrus strip" paint stripper, waited until i saw it bubbling and wrinkling up and hosed it off and no more laqurer.

Reply To Post

1. by Slausonm
        (51 posts)

16 years ago

Paint stripper will remove the lacq on a MKVI if the lacq is original. If it is redone, all bets are off, but it is likely to. Some lacquers are tougher than others. The Hot water and bath tub method is not likely to work very well. Either way, you will need to replace pads, corks and felts when done ...if you strip the keys as well. IMHO stripping horns serves to only speed up the deterioration of the horn. The sound "benefit" of a stripped horn is minimal to non exsistent. The benefit of stripping the horn to the ear, is that you will have to put new pads in and hopefully if you do it right it will play and sound better.

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

I recently de-lacqered an old horn I was only trying to de-crud. I have a crud phobia. what I used was a warm solution of half water, half white vinegar. most of the lacquer came off right away, the rest flaked off the next day when the horn dried out. all crud gone too.

Reply To Post

2. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

regarding the pads, corks etc, yep they all fell out as I thought they might, but the horn was up for a complete over-haul, so I merely saved my tech guy some time. paint stripper is highly caustic, does it have any effect on the brass?

Reply To Post

3. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

I used a plastic storage bin with about 10 litres of vinegar. I don't know how many gallons that is, but it's a sh*t load.

Reply To Post

4. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

It is important that steel rods, screws, and springs not be put into water for any length of time or they will rust and create more problems. When cleaning or delacquering a saxophone it is always best to completely disassemble it first. John

Reply To Post

5. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

yep good point jbt. I learnt that valuable (expensive) lesson practising at my local dunes. the salt air from the sea caused the action to seize up and the springs to start rusting.

Reply To Post

6. by thesaxbro
          (3 posts)

16 years ago

Well now, I am not going to be removing the laquer from my Mark VI tenor, just my alto. Secondly, I don't plan on removing the laquer fro the keys. My friend owns a music store and said I can strip my horn there and then just de laquer the body. I do want to leave the neck alone. -Josh

Reply To Post AIM