Saxophone Forum

by frostshardz
(23 posts)
20 years ago

is it wise?

got a question here. issit wise to engrave your name on a sax? and where can i find such service?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by FISHERMAN
    (31 posts)

20 years ago

Re: is it wise?

Hello, I personally do not think I would engrave my name in a horn unless I was filthy rich and could say without a doubt that I would never get rid of the horn until I passed away. What they did after that I would not really worry about. If you would like to personalize your horn and make it unique and easy to identify if stolen you can get custom engraving of much prettier things done on a custom level. Check out Jason Dumar's website for custom engraving. From what I have seen this guy is a self taught genius when it comes to engraving. I have plans to have my Ref 36 done in the future. Good Luck

Reply To Post

2. by FutureBandTeacher
    (45 posts)

19 years ago

You could possibly get away with it, but if you decide to sell it, you would have to get a little plate soldered over it that matches the sax's paint job. Soldering can leave a mark similar to a scratch. You could also have your name engraved inside the bell, jsut far down enough that nobody will notice during performances. Or maybe you could have it engraved on the side of the body of the sax that faces you when you play.

Reply To Post

3. by Goldref18
    (145 posts)

19 years ago

Don't get an engraving. Unless you get an engraving from someone who constantly plays don't because the biggest thing is that it will most likely hurt the sound (ESPECIALLY if you have a vintage horn) If you buy a new one and get it engraved it will probably be fine but if you have any kind of valuable horn i woulnd't risk getting it engraved becasue it's just too frivilous and really isn't worth the trouble/possible problems that could ensue.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM