Saxophone Forum

by funkymofo
(5 posts)
20 years ago

Who knows of Oleg's Music in CA?

Does anyone know about Oleg from Oleg's Music in Studio City CA? I understand he's the cat that came up with the "olegature." Is he also known for making custom mouthpieces? I need my Dukoff repaired and someone told me to call him. Old Oleg sounded real pompous and scoffed at the idea of repairing my lowly Dukoff. He then informed me that he only makes "fine saxophone mouthpieces." In short, he acted as though I should have known of his reputation as a maker of "fine saxophone mouthpieces." However, I only heard of his silly looking ligs! Am I out of the loop with regard to the almighty Oleg and his so-called "fine saxophone mouthpieces?" By the way, he informed me that his "fine saxophone mouthpieces start at $450! funky!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jushden
    (17 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Who knows of Oleg's Music in CA?

i used to play one of those pieces on my alto. in general olegs stuff is super bright sounding. the mouthpiece had alot of highs in it. i sold it to a rich marching band student who loved how loud it was. his ligature is the same way. i played on an oleg ligature for awhile and it kept breaking. i had to keep going to his store so that he could repair it. i switched to the ultimate ligature which doesn't break and has a bigger pocket. his stuff is not worth the money. put the 450 he wants toward a real mouthpiece like an old link.

Reply To Post

2. by Chuck8133
    (16 posts)

20 years ago

Try saxmouthpiece.com, Jey Clark in Berkley, CA. He did my Dukoff, good job.

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

While attitude may impress some, I am not one sold on snobbery. If Oleg's mpcs were anything to shake a stick at, he'd have handed you one to try and politely waited for your exuberant praise. However, as a recent first-time purchaser of a Dukoff (soprano D6), I have to admit they're barely worth the "silverite-randamonium-unobtanium-reconstituted lead-shot" (whatever) they're made out of. Took me 2 hours to level the tip and buff out the squeaks. Dukoff quality control appears to be "does it sink in water?"

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

20 years ago

Dukoff quality control appears to be "does it sink in water?" hahahahahaha thanks man,

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, Oleg makes alot of stuff. He does ligatures, mouthpieces, which he makes out of blanks himself, and make great sax necks. I have an oleg neck, and like it alot. The ligatures seem to deaden tone alot, I'm not a huge fan of them, but I see alot of people playing them.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

What neck did you replace with the Oleg, and what did it do for you? I'm wondering if an after-market neck would help my Series III blow easier, though I like it's control-ability for concert music.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

I'm using it on my series III too. I thought the series III sounded kind of dead, so I got a silver neck done for it, so it's a little brighter, a little more edge, and better response. I usually use it doing jazz gigs.

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

I know alot of other pros that love his pieces, it's not sold on snobbery. Why would you shake a stick at a mouthpiece??? j/p. Seriously, his stuff is good.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

My comment on snobbery was related to his attitude as described in the original post. There's no excuse for being rude to a potential customer. At least that's how I read it.

Reply To Post

1. by funkymofo
            (5 posts)

20 years ago

You read right. the dude was dripping with snobbery. I'm in the market to repair my old Dukoff AND for a new mouthpiece, and I'm ready to spend some good money. Oleg's nose-in-the-air attitude lost this potential customer forever. FunkyMoFo

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

20 years ago

yeah no shit... that turns people away, fast! and you're joke is still funny. Seriously, my teachers here got a good kick out of it.=)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM