Saxophone Forum

by Kitch22
(98 posts)
20 years ago

Your jazz setup . . .

Tell me what your current jazz setup is (sax, mouthpiece, ligature, and reeds) and also what its up and downs are and how well it works. My setup is this: - Yamaha Custom Z (silver) alto sax - Selmer C* mouthpiece (i know, not a jazz mouthpiece, but it's all I have at the moment, for I'm gettin' either a Lakey or Rousseau) - Rovner dark ligature - Rico Jazz 2 1/2 reeds I love my setup so far. Once I get a good, bright jazz mouthpiece, thus balancing out with my dark lig, it will be unbeatable because Custom Zs are sweet.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jjsax
    (3 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Your jazz setup . . .

my set-up Alto: Selmer Mk VI (154,000) Claude Lakey (4*4) (one of batch on his desk at time of his death) Harrison lig Lavoz med hard Tenor: Selmer Mk VI (157,000) Peter Ponzol metal 2 (sometimes vintage 1970's ottolink 8* hard rubber for intimate jazz settings) rovner lig Vandoren Java 3 Sop: Yamaha 675S Meyer 5 vandoren 3

Reply To Post

2. by cricket
    (1 post)

15 years ago

Selmer Mark VI (76,xxx) Peter Ponzol M2 100 metal mouthpiece Rovner ligature Brancher Jazz #2 1/2 reeds Hahn Synthetic #2 reed I love the Peter Ponzol - the Brancher reeds have a mellow sound but the Hahn reed lasts for months and almost sounds like cane.

Reply To Post

3. by LC
    (25 posts)

15 years ago

I play a 26,xxx Selmer Balanced Action with a Caravan mouthpiece and #4 Vandoren traditional reeds.

Reply To Post

4. by 1mexican08
    (1 post)

14 years ago

I'm thinking of getting a meyer mouthpiece with a vandoren optimum. Right now I have the exact same set up as you. But I feel like it limits the power. I also have an Otto link super tone master 7

Reply To Post

5. by nel4ever
    (4 posts)

12 years ago

Hello to all sax players. We all know that setup is very personal and sometimes can vary from player to player. I dont if you have heard about the Delacole jazz mouthpieces. But they are really good mouthpieces with lots of edge and power. 

I reccomend any serious player to try them out. You can find them for sale at saxmart.com and any questions please feel free to email me at [email protected] 

Nelson Garcia
    www.mysaxtalk.com

Reply To Post

6. by buckeye808
    (1 post)

9 years ago

My setup is:
    Yamaha Custom Z (Tenor)
    Theo Wanne Kali Metal 
    Traditional Vandoren #3
    My passion is playing Jazz but I also am in Concert. The Theo Wanne Kali is such a great mouthpiece, the overall response and tone quality is phenomena! I chose to go with the traditional vandoren because I am more of a dark player and the zz and the Java sound too bright. 

Reply To Post

7. by jemery
    (1 post)

3 years ago

It may be quite late now, but oh well.

- Ishimori Woodstone New Vintage VL Alto
    - E. Rousseau Studio Jazz 5
    - Boston Sax Shop 3.5
    - Charles Bay Ligature

- Selmer Super Action 80ii Tenor
    - Theo Wanne Ambika 2 6*
    - Ishimori Woodstone 3

I also play classical, in which I use these.

- Ishimori Woodstone New Vintage VL Alto
    - Vandoren Optimum AL3
    - Ishimori Woodstone 3.5
    - Rovner Mk. III

- Yamaha Custom EXS Tenor
    - Selmer S80 C**
    - Ishimori Woodstone 3
    - Rovner Dark

First post ever here, hope I did well!

Reply To Post

8. by N2Jazz
    (8 posts)

20 years ago

On alto I play a Yamaha 875 Custom and I have a few different mouthpieces for different situations. I have a Meyer 6 that I use and a Morgan Excalibur for big band settings. In combo or soloist settings I usually play a #7 Runyon custom series. Either Rico Royal or Vandoren Java reeds and a Winslow lig. On Tenor I play a 1920 New Wonder Conn with either a Runyon custom spoiler plastic mouthpiece (red) or a Runyon SR series mouthpiece (blue). I can use the same winslow lig for these mouthpieces and use java or the royal reeds as well.

Reply To Post

1. by senior
      (23 posts)

20 years ago

Yanagisawa 901 Jody Jazz #8 mouthpiece Eddie Daniels lig Vandoren Java 2 1/2 redds

Reply To Post

9. by torn
    (4 posts)

20 years ago

i play a goldplated chu berry alto, otto link stm 6*, and olegature. i am currently playing vandoren java 3's, but i don't like them much, i have ordered some rigotti gold reeds, they should come tomorrow

Reply To Post

10. by Kitch22
    (98 posts)

20 years ago

Right now, I use: -Yamaha Custom Z (silver) alto -Meyer 6M mpc -Rovner dark lig or Olegature (depending on music) -La Voz med hard reeds

Reply To Post

11. by Kitch22
    (98 posts)

20 years ago

O, come on people . . . ! How 'bout some posts!

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

Ok. I'm not a big jazz player, but what works for me is my silver III, a Vandoren A55 Jumbo Java, and a Bari medium or hard reed. This set up lets me play brightly when I push it, but I can also play a ballad without too much edge.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

Oh yeah - I use the Rovner dark ligs, too.

Reply To Post

1. by cyber75sax
          (33 posts)

20 years ago

I'm in transition b/w horns, but my tenor setup will soon be: Mark VI silver plate Otto Link 7* Francois Louis silver lig Alexander 3 Reeds For alto: SA80 II Lakey 4 * 4 Alexander Superials 3 Vandoren lig

Reply To Post

2. by jazzy JJ
        (5 posts)

16 years ago

I play a P.Mauriat tenor 66r with an otto link 7*, and either a vandoren zz 21/2 or rico jazz select 2 hard. I'm experimenting with the reeds,are there any other reeds that people would suggest. I find the vandoren zz a good change at times but neither reed seems to last real long. How are the plastic ones?

Reply To Post

2. by Sonny Rollins
      (2 posts)

20 years ago

My setup: Yanagisawa T901 Otto Link Super Tone Master 7* Otto Link Ligature Rico or Rico Royal 3 The horn is a little bright like I like it, and Link focuses the sound and the number 3 reeds play pretty evenly thoughout the low and high registers. I cant say how important reeds are to the sound. I usually specially prepare reeds by shaving and burning the ends slightly. To do this put the tip of the reed on the ligature and use a lighter to burn the tip just slightly Using the ligature shape to not burn anything but the extreme tip. Basically what you are doing is making sure the reed isnt too soft at the tip but just the right stiffness. Make sure the shape is that of the tip of the mouthpiece. Eventhough a reed looks like its perfect, it still make sound like booboo. Trash it and try another.

Reply To Post

3. by elodasax
      (1 post)

20 years ago

- Yamaha 62 - Dukoff D7 - La Voz MS - Francois Louis Gold

Reply To Post

4. by saxman71886
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

This is my setup for alto: *Selmer Series III matte finish *Either a Beechler Diamond Inlay M5S w/ Rico Jazz Select 3S and Rovner Light or a Meyer 6M w/ Vandoren Java 2.5 or 3 and Vandoren Optimum Ligature with plate #3. I'm looking into buying one of those Tenney Custom Meyers they have on this site and also an Olegature for my current mouthpieces.

Reply To Post

5. by Madbeast
      (1 post)

19 years ago

I play mostly rock or jam stuff. 1925ish Buesher true tone alto berg 100/2 with a rovner Alexanders 2.5 On Tenor I've got a Link 7, with #3 DC's and any horn I can get my hands on, Vintage, Selmers, Kings or sometimes conns

Reply To Post

6. by stutrane
      (15 posts)

19 years ago

Selmer Series III tenor either: morgan jazz 5L mpc. or vintage Florida Link metal 8 with handmade Vintage reeds, made locally, 3 strength. Alto 152000 MkVI Meyer 6M Mpc B+G Lig. 25 yo reeds from some random repairer's death Sop. Yani 901 selmer super session J mpc. I'm not happy with my tenor setup, anyone got a morgan jazz mpc which is more open lying round? BTW- I'm looking to sell a rousseau JDX 8 hard rubber mouthpiece, and possibly a Berg Larsen 95/2, both for tenor, if anyone's interested.... sorry for advertising on here.

Reply To Post

7. by EdTheGreat
      (11 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah I use a T-991 Otto Link New York Model #9 -nice dark sound Rico Plasticover Reeds **It's strange how many different setups everyone has

Reply To Post

8. by sgt17594
      (31 posts)

19 years ago

Current Set up: - Selmer MkVI - Berg Larsen 110/2/M with lig. - Vandoren ZZ 2.5

Reply To Post

9. by Kitch22
      (98 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, guys. My setup has changed a bit, so I thought I'd post it. I also have my tenor and soprano setups on there, too. ALTO: -Yamaha Custom Z (silver) -Meyer 6M rubber mpc -Olegature or Rovner dark lig -Vandoren ZZ 3 reeds TENOR: -Yamaha YTS475 -Peter Ponzol M2 metal mpc -Rovner light lig -La Voz med soft reeds SOPRANO: -Yanagisawa S901 -Selmer S80 D or Otto Link 6*3 metal mpc -Stock ligs -La Voz med hard reeds

Reply To Post

10. by *ThE SaX*
      (8 posts)

19 years ago

I have a Selmer USA model AS300, a Premiere by Hite piece, a Rovner Dark lig., and I use VanDoren Java 3's. I get a GREAT jazz sound out of my instrument, even though I don't have the best equipement. As of now, this set-up is all I need to make a great tone on my horn, and I'm quite happy with it.

Reply To Post

11. by clarinet1st
      (11 posts)

19 years ago

My set up is simple, but it works for me... Alto, Conn New Wonder I Meyer 7, Large Chamber (rubber) Harrison A2 Lig Rico Royal 2 When doubling clarinet: Brilhardt 5* MP Equa Tone Lig Vandoren 3 Clarinet set up Buffet Evette & Schaffer Master Model Larry Combs 3 MP Gigliotti Lig Mitchell Lurie 3.5

Reply To Post

12. by Hanshi
      (1 post)

17 years ago

Conn 10M Lady face, low pitch Just had it overhauled Berg Larsen 90/2 Original lig Had played with a 3 1/2 various mfrs but i think i will try the Java 3soft for what is supposed to be a brighter sound. I do lots of multiphonics and am focused on 40's and 50's hard bop. I do Cherokee in all 12 keys at 240 - 260, sometimes 320 when I am adventurous.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

17 years ago

Selmer Reference 54 Alto Sax. RPC 90R or 105B 2 1/2 Alexander Superial on both.

Reply To Post AIM

13. by Black Orpheus
      (23 posts)

20 years ago

Jazz is my favorite style of music! Anyway, I use... YTS-62 Selmer S-80 D no-name metal ligature LaVoz Medium reeds I like the sound I can get with the setup, but I have to sift through a few reeds before I can get a great sound, and I do not get much projection.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
        (248 posts)

20 years ago

keilwerth sx90r tenor(black nickel) berg larson 90/1M rubber Mpc olegature rico select jazz 3m or 3h OR la voz m or mh i'd like to try one of those custom tenney links sometime, but love my berg

Reply To Post

14. by lo pro
      (19 posts)

17 years ago

Yamaha Custom EX Phil Barone 6M mouthpiece Rovner ligature Java 3 reeds

Reply To Post

15. by ellingtonfan
      (4 posts)

17 years ago

Alto Sax: Yamaha Custom (the 875, not a Z) Meyer 5M* Rovner Dark Rico Select Jazz #3Soft Clarinet: Noblet Student Model (my mom's 40-yr-old clarinet from HS) Vandoren B45* Rovner Dark Vandoren #3 I'm looking to get a metal mpc for my alto that has a lot of projection, unfortunately the JodyJazz DV is at the top of my list (unfortunate because of the price, but I'm getting a pmc for keeps, and it plays like nothing else I've tried yet). Also, I'm looking to replace my B45 for clarinet- trying to find something a bit woodier sounding that is nice and responsive around the register break and the upper reaches of the instrument.

Reply To Post

16. by JazzSeraph
      (8 posts)

16 years ago

I'm a senior playin lead alto in the high school jazz band. My setup is: Alto: -Jupiter Silver sax -Yamaha Custom MP -Rovner Dark (one of the older leather ones) -Vandoren Java 3's Tenor: -Buffet horn (weird, I know) -Yamaha 4C -Rovner Dark (rubber) -Vandoren Java 3's, sometimes a medium Bari plastic reed The alto setup i use has been great for lead and soloing stuff, b/c i can get a really clear tone outta the Mp and can scream high notes (not altissimo). For mrching (same horn) I slap on a Runyon plastic MP that a friend of mine got with her sax and she'd never played. My tenor setup gets a pretty dark tone with just that cheap 4C. who knew Buffet made good saxes too? I use the plastic reed for practice time when I'm bored and wann play really loud, otherwise, the reed sounds sooooo bad i never use it.

Reply To Post

17. by mbrock
      (12 posts)

16 years ago

Here is my setup: 1963 Martin Magna Meyer 5M 3 Vandoren ZZ Rovner Dark Lig I really like this setup because I play a lot of Basie and Ellington, so I desire a darker vintage tone (you can almost sound like Marcel Mule with this setup!). I would not recommend this setup for contemporary jazz.

Reply To Post

18. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

alto yas-475- rousseau JDX8 (yes, the mp is the cats meow) alexander DC (the black box) BG metal jazz ligerature (best thing to ever be forged) chu berry- same as 475, might play a otto link from time to time bari ybs 52- berg-larson 110/1, vandoren ZZ reeds, playing with alexanders, good lig suggestions would be appreciated

Reply To Post

19. by naveman8
      (2 posts)

16 years ago

this setup works extremely well for me - Dolnet Belair tenor sax (1960s, serial # in the 50s) same type lester young played - Otto Link Super Tone Master (opening is 8) slightly larger than the 7* and I think it has a fuller bottom sound and a great wailing altissimo - Otto link ligature also sometimes rovner - Rico Jazz 3 reeds, or Vandoren Java 3 1/2 or Brancher 3 1/2 I've been very happy with this setup. The reeds just give slightly different tones with the java and brancher having a more "reedy" tone which is good in some situations, but also harder to play since they are 3 1/2s.

Reply To Post

20. by custom82z4ever
      (5 posts)

16 years ago

I'm rockin: -Yamaha Custom 82Z Tenor (gold lacquer) -Rousseau JDX8 -Rousseau Jazz Metal -Rovner (no clue which one) on the JDX -Selmer (some 30 some-odd year old lig) on the Metal Rousseau -I've been playing around with lots of reeds, but the best so far are Vandoren JAVA and V16's. By the way, is silver lacquer an extra option? When I bought my Z a couple years ago all I saw was the gold. Was silver limited edition? Did you have to pay extra? Can I have my current one relacquered? :P

Reply To Post AIM

21. by bmezzsharp11
      (8 posts)

16 years ago

My setup: MKVI (159xxx) Guardala Fatboy Brecker MKII Rico Jazz select 3m I've had my VI for 18 years and I got swept up into the whole Guardala frenzy of the early to mid 90's. At that time I was stationed in Germany and every year I would go to the music messe in Frankfurt. I never could seem to find a horn or mouthpiece that worked better than my setup, so I stopped looking. I hear there are some really good things out there now, perhaps the Ref54 and something. I don't think I could ever change now, but who knows...

Reply To Post

22. by Kherek
      (5 posts)

16 years ago

Right now I'm playing on Alto - Selmer Mark VI (1970) - Vandoren Jumbo Java A55 Mouthpiece - Vandoren ZZ 3 1/2 reeds - Winslow Ligature This setup plays fantastic. My tenor setup has been... borrowed, but good. - Selmer Mark VI (213xxx i believe) - Otto Link 6* Mouthpiece - Regular metal Ligature for the mouthpiece - Vandoren ZZ 3 The tenor setup's been good, but I'll be getting my own soon enough. I love my alto a lot though.

Reply To Post

23. by airegin247
      (1 post)

16 years ago

On Soprano I use a Keilwerth SX-90II Black Nickel with a Selmer Classic Metal G, Oleg Ligature and Alexander Superial DC No. 3 reeds. This setup has a lot of expressi ve control and versatility. On alto i use a Keilwerth SX-90R Black Nickel with an Otto Link Super Tone Master metal 8*, Oleg Ligature and Alexander Superial DC No. 3 1/2 reeds. This setup has a lot of versatility and expressivness that has made it very easy for me to use with eiher Jazz or Classical work. On Tenor I use a Keilwerth SX-90R Black Nickel with an Otto Link Super Tone Master NY metal 7*, Oleg ligature and Alexander Superial DC No. 3 1/2 reeds. This setup is extraordinarily powerful to where it will literally shake the floor when pushed or have a gentle whisper all the way down to the low Bb when needed. On Baritone I use a Keilwerth SX-90R Black Nickel with an Otto Link Super Tone Master metal 6*, Oleg ligature and Alexander Superial DC No. 3 reeds. This setup has the versatility of being both gently soft and agressively powerful. I use it for mainly solo work but also use it quite effectively for support as well. Along with the modern Otto Link mouthpieces I also use vintage Florida Otto Links; 8* on Alto, 7* on Tenor and 6* on Baritone. These vintage pieces give a slight change in tonal color that is not available from todays mouthpieces and allows me to have that vintage tone when needed for very special occasions.

Reply To Post

24. by ianhart
      (5 posts)

16 years ago

YAS-82ZM Otto Link 4**** Model, 4 facing (similar to a modern 6, i believe) Rovner Light lig Vandoren JAVA 3.5

Reply To Post

25. by ianhart
      (5 posts)

16 years ago

Oops! Forgot to mention tenor and bari Tenor- Selmer Mk VI (school's) Otto Link HR 7 stock lig Vandoren JAVA 3 Bari- Yani B 901 or Holton Elkhorn model HR Berg 120/1 M Vandoren ZZ 3.5 (for funk gigs) La Voz MH (Everything else jazzy)

Reply To Post

26. by allthewoodwinds
      (12 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Your jazz setup . . .l

1) Conn 10M tenor with Runyon Quantum metal Spoiler 8*, BG silver lig and Alexander NY 2.5 reeds. 2) Prestige TOPSAX alto with Runyon Bionix 10* HR, Van Doren Optimum lig and Hemke #2 reeds. 3) Monique soprano sax with Claude Lakey HR 7*, Brancher Leggerio lig and Rico Royal 2.5 reeds. 4) Bundy clarinet with Meyer HR 8m, Van Doren Ultimate lig and La Voz M reeds. No up and downs just up and down the scale........

Reply To Post

27. by tenormadness
      (6 posts)

20 years ago

Current setup: Yamaha YTS-62 Tenor Otto Link 7* w/ stock ligature Vandoren ZZ 2 1/2 Used to play V16 reeds, but was having a real tough time finding playable ones in each box-- to me, cane quality seems a little better with the new ZZ reeds. Overall, I am pretty happy with the setup-- it can be a little bright from time to time, but tone production and intonation is pretty solid through the range of the horn.

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

20 years ago

Ok, on Alto... YAS-875 Couf Artist 7*R Bay Ligature Alexander DC Reeds Tenor Guardala DG-500l Couf 6*R(opened up considerably) Consoli Lig Alexander DCs

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

i forgot my bari setup! Couf superba selmer usa jazz8*(i'm not a big fan of it, but it works fine) i go through ligatures a lot of this thing, but i think it's some old stock i got of my brilhart tenor mpc i also fly through reeds on bari, but i've mostly used lavoz recently. medium right now.

Reply To Post

1. by Jbreitm
            (5 posts)

20 years ago

tenor setup yanagisawa T-992 (Bronze) Mouthpiece for now: RPC custom .120 opening Reed: Vandoren ZZ 2 1/2 Ligature: Eddie Daniels 1 Just starting on alto may tell you once I figure out what I am doing

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

20 years ago

Alto Yas 875 Custom 7* NY vintage link Bonade Silver Inverted or Francouis Louis Lig Java or Alexander Reeds OR '56 Mark VI Morgan Excalibur Francouis Louis or Morgan Lig Alexander Reeds Tenor 82z Unlacquered Otto Link 7* or Phil Barone 8 Francouis Louis lig Java Reeds I notice a lot of people like to use the Rovner Ligs, I can't stand them; they deaden the sound.

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

20 years ago

Tenor... early 41 10M relaquered (someone else did it) I use a vintage fl link 8* with the stock lig I'm using bari plastic reeds, or else I may get into rico or something... I'll worry about that later Alto... a 39 or 40 6M I'm using a beechler S5l (the one with the diamond inlay) cheap ass stock lig (which works for me so far) and again a bari reed **the only reason I use plastic reeds is because I got some 3 years ago so I didn't have to worry about keeping real reeds around, and so I could just pick the horn up and play when I wanted to.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by saxflores
            (18 posts)

20 years ago

Yamaha Custom Alto 875, meyer 8M, vandoren java 3

Reply To Post AIM

5. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

Mint, no name vintage 2003 kazoo - blue injection molded plastic. Made in China.

Reply To Post

6. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

20 years ago

Sax_maniac, thtat is one serious instrument you have there. Has it got the hand- done egraving on it? I just bought a 6M, the rarest kind of them too. It's got the microtuners for each note, so you can adjust the tuning on all of them, the rolled toneholes, the awesome old Conn neck on it, it's pretty nice. Original Lacquer about 99% too. Plays like a dream, I'm going to start using it for jazz.

Reply To Post

7. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

There's no engravings on the kazoo, per se, but a couple teethmarks from my kids. I can send pix if anyone's interested. A real collector's item. Sonny Rollins played on it in the 90's!! Still trying to teach them proper embouchre. On that note (ugh), my four year old played a low Bb on my tenor yesterday. I hold the horn and keys - he just gives it his all! Your 6M has tuners for what - each tone hole? Cool.

Reply To Post

8. by blog234
            (14 posts)

20 years ago

I've got a student Selmer Tenor...with the mouthpiece that it came with and i use Vandorean 16 2.5 reeds.....Man, I need to get a better sax....

Reply To Post

9. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

20 years ago

(Man, I need to get a better sax....) no, you need to get good enough to take advantage of a better sax!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

10. by heisseskorper
            (6 posts)

19 years ago

Selmer Super Action 80 II Tenor 8* Sugal Super Gonz II Copper Mouthpiece Harry Hartmann Carbon Toptone Reeds (Medium) This setup is almost as bright as you can get (reed is what sends it over the top at times)...but it gets me heard...and I also find this is the setup you want for the clearest tone possible. Horn has the least to do with it...with the Sugal and the Hartmann reeds I sound the same on practically anything I pick up. I'm actually looking to sell my sax to buy a new bass amp as I'm a bassist as well. And I'll pick up an old Conn or something in its place

Reply To Post

11. by martysax
            (148 posts)

19 years ago

When I want to cut through and scream I have the '62 King super 20 tenor with Dukoff 8M and Vandoren Java 3. When I want to sound sweet and mellow I have the '64 Mark VI Tenor with early florida 8* Link and vandoren Java 3. They both kick ass.

Reply To Post

12. by eman19
            (131 posts)

19 years ago

1940 Martin Committee II alto Steve Broadus S3 mouthpiece Vandoren ZZ 3.5 reeds Tenor is in the air right now, might end up being a Buescher student model or a True Tone from '29

Reply To Post

13. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

King Super 20 Silver sonic tenor vintage metal berg 110/M/3 or vintage guy hawkins 6 vandoren Java 3 reeds "The Martin" Alto Meyer 5 vandoren ZZ 3.5

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

14. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I just posted this somewhere else on here, but here's my set ups Tenor My favorite is the horn I started on; a 1948 Conn 10M, Lady face. This horn was professionally overhauled and relacquered in 2001 and has the premium Selmer style resonator pads. I use either an Otto Link Super Tone Master or a Rico Royal Graftonite B3 (cheap moputhpiece but I like it) with a Rovner Dk Ligature, Vanduren V 16 2 1/2. I also have a 1930 Conn New Wonder Series II Chu Berry, silver. I just finished restoring it. Has the rolled tone holes and new white kangaroo leather pads with metal resonators. I used it on a blues gig a couple weeks ago and it really sounds sweet! I might use the Chu more for some of the blues gigs I play. Alto I have a couple Conns and a Selmer that I play fairly often. I have a 1950 6M Lady model with the underslung microtuner neck recently professionally relaquered and overhauled with the same Selmer style resonator pads. I use a vintage 50's Conn Steelay mouthpiece with a Rovner Ligature, or a Rico Royal Graftonite mouthpiece. On occasion, I have an Otto Link Super Tone Master for alto too, but at times it's a little too much. I also play a 1952 Selmer Balanced Action. This one was relaquered some time ago, but was professionally done. The horn still looks good and plays very well. It belonged to my uncle. It sounds great on some of the more mellow stuff that I play with either a Brilhart Ebolin or Selmer Soloist mouthpiece. I use a Vanduren 2 reed. I have a 1929 Chu Berry alto also that I play on occasion. The Chu alto was also recently overhauled and has the white kangaroo leather pads with metal resonators. These are expensive pads, but more like the original Chu pads. Soprano I don't play Soprano very often. I've only been playing for soprano for about 3 years. I started out on an old Conn that I borrowed from my uncle. I played it for a couple years and then last year I bought a new Selmer Series III Soprano. It's a nice sax. If I had it to do over again, I think I would have bought either a Yanagisawa or a Keilwerth. I had just got my income taxes back, and had the money in the bank, walked into the music store to buy reeds, seen it and had to have it! It sounds pretty good with the stock mouthpiece, although I did buy a Rovner ligature for it. I use a Vanduren 2 soprano reed. Baritone Well, I had a soprano, alto and a tenor, so I had to get a Baritone too! The first Baritone I bought was a King Zephyr model from 1955. I really like it. I don't play Bari very often though. The Zephyr came with an old Brilhart mouthpiece, and I bought a Rico Royal Graftonite piece for it. I have 24 in my collection all together. All but 6 of them are Conns. ( 2 Kings, 3 Selmers and a Buescher) My oldest is a 1908 Conn "The Wonder" alto; silver, union label stamp. I also have a 1928 Conn New Wonder Series II F Mezzo Soprano. On my list of dreams is a Conn-O-Sax, a 14M Bass, and Contra-Bass, but for the time being, I'll just have to keep dreaming!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

15. by altosax
            (19 posts)

19 years ago

I play a yas 23 with a meyer 7 mouthpiece, curently using medium lavoz reeds, I still want to try out some other brands. don't know anything about ligature, I just use the one that came with the mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

16. by jschuth
            (10 posts)

19 years ago

Alto 1935 Silver King (Zepher transition horn) Vintage NY Meyer 5M, Labayle wooden ligature, Reeds, Rico Jazz Select or Alexander Superial Tenor Selmer Mark VI (65,xxx) 95% mint and the ultimate selmer tenor - I consider myself very lucky Setups - 1. Otto Link Vintage Slant Signature 6, Labayle wooden ligature (awesome new ligature, very hot in New York, bought mine while there at Roberto's off time square ,..sorry Mark) 2. Vintage Otto Link STM 7 (Florida) original Link ligature - sometimes I'll play a FL Ultimate Lig Reeds, Alexander Superial DC or Francois Louis (hell of a good reed)

Reply To Post

17. by saxmanj
            (2 posts)

19 years ago

Soprano Selmer A80 series II I use 2 different mouthpieces (Selmer Super Session) (Otto Link #6 metal mouthpiece) I use a Hempke 2.5 reed on the super session rubber and a Rico Select Jazz #2med on the Otto Link It's a hit and miss situation when dealing with a soprano sax. They are very tempermental instruments. But the tone is nice.

Reply To Post

18. by saxmanj
            (2 posts)

19 years ago

Soprano Selmer A80 series II I use 2 different mouthpieces (Selmer Super Session) (Otto Link #6 metal mouthpiece) I use a Hempke 2.5 reed on the super session rubber and a Rico Select Jazz #2med on the Otto Link It's a hit and miss situation when dealing with a soprano sax. They are very tempermental instruments. But the tone is nice.

Reply To Post

19. by zoot
            (21 posts)

19 years ago

Jupiter Tenor sax Dukoff D9 MP with stock ligature Rico "Plasticover" Reeds The tone i get is really new orleans jazzy style, even with the inexpensive saxophone. The reeds give it that "buzz". I recorded a few clips, if ur interested in a dukoff setup, and I can send them to you. Just IM me at screen name devilinthemirr0r or email me at [email protected]

Reply To Post

20. by rosscoe88
            (5 posts)

19 years ago

Temby Vintage Alto Selmer D rubber mouthpiece Rovner Dark ligature Rico Select Jazz 3S It's a nice, dark sound, and the horn's only two months old so i'm still getting adjusted to it!

Reply To Post

21. by SaxMan88
            (318 posts)

19 years ago

I'm gonna get scoffed at. But for NOW, here is my set up. Bundy II Tenor Sax No name mouthpiece Selmer Ligiature Rico Royal 3's Future setup: Selmer LaVoix Tenor Selmer C* or Otto Link 7 metal Selmer ligiature and Otto Link ligiature Vandoren 3's The Bundy II is a school horn with school equipment. That's why it's not the greatest setup. Oh, I can get good sounds out of it, but it's a shick-shinny setup. I'm gonna have the second list within a month (I hope, I'm dreamin about it every nite). Happy saxophoning!

Reply To Post

22. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Ok, Here's my COMPLETE set up. I mean, EVERYTHING in my apartment AND my parent's basement that I don't have room for here! I started collecting this stuff when I was like... 10! We're talking 21 years of Christmas presents, summer jobs, income tax returns, and hard earned money! Soprano: New 2004 Keilwerth SX 90 with Otto Link HR mouthpiece and Rico Jazz select # 2 1/2 reeds. i have a Selmer Series III too, but I don't really like it too much. Alto: Usually a 1950 Conn 6M with a Selmer C* S-80, a vintage Conn Steelay, or an Otto Link 6* metal. Rovner lig on the HR pieces. Occasionally a 1952 Selmer SBA alto or 1926 Conn Chu Berry (silver plate) alto (great sax for blues). LaVoz med. hard reeds, or Rico Jazz Select 2 1/2 reeds. Tenor: 1948 Conn 10M with a vintage Otto Link super Tone Master Florida, or a Rico Royal Graftonite B3 with Rovner lig, Occasionally a Meyer 7* when I really want her to scream! Rico Jazz select or Lavoz reeds. Occasionally, I'll play a 1958 King Super 20 or a 1929 Chu Berry (silver plate) tenor also. Baritone: 1955 King Zephyr II Baritone with a Rico Royal Graftonite mouthpiece and Rovner lig. Hoping to get my Conn 12M overhauled soon. I own 25 Saxophones in all. 18 Conn, 3 Selmer, 2 King, 1 Buescher and 1 Keilwerth. Clarinet: 1966 Buffet R 13 with stock mouthpiece and LaVoz Med Soft reeds. Flute: Armstrong 10A. It's probably 15 years old. Closed hole, student model. Sounds ok on stuff like Moondance. Guitar: 1994 Fender Strat 40th anniversary, stock single coil pick-ups or a 1998 Strat with Seymour duncan hotrail bridge pick-up. Played through either a Marshall JCM 800 Combo or a Reissue 1965 Fender Twin. d' Addario medium guage strings. Bass: 1994 Fender Precision Special (with jazz pick-up in bridge) GHS Boomers; through an Ampeg SVT head and 4X10" Cab. Sounds nice and beefy! Keyboards: Yamaha S80 and Motif 7, Roland VK 7 Half of this stuff is in my studio in my parent's basement. I bought all this stuff, and I don't even have room for it! PA Gear: Yamaha 24 channel board (Its packed away and I can't remember the model #) A couple PS 2600 amps, an Alesis M230 eq, an Alesis compressor/limiter, digitech effects processor/spatializer/expander. I also have an older Alesis Midiverb that I use for my sax. Shure Beta58 and SM 57 mics Yamaha front loaded 18" subs, 15" 2 Way cabs, SM112 monitors. Drums: Yamaha Stage Custom set with Evans Heads, Zildgian A Custom cymbals 20" rock ride, 16" crash, 14" hats, 8" splash. Yamaha speedster chain drive pedal. Recording Gear: Fostex 8 channel tape reel to reel ( a bit obsolete, I don't use it too much) Tascam 8 track digital with 40 GB hard drive. That's about it! That's everything I own, I think...accept for a few harmonicas, tambourines (We like to hand those out to the pretty girls in the audience) and other misc. junk!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

23. by KSsaxophone
            (57 posts)

19 years ago

Wow...

Reply To Post

24. by KSsaxophone
            (57 posts)

19 years ago

Oops forgot my setup I am getting a new sax in a few weeks so this is my future setup I guess. Alto Yamaha 62 or Yamaha Custom 82Z (don't know which one I'm getting) Vandoren A55 mouthpiece Vandoren 3 Reeds (For regular band I use a Selmer C Star mouthpiece and Vandoren 3 1/2 reeds) Rovner Ligiture

Reply To Post

25. by SaxMan88
            (318 posts)

19 years ago

You got a Selmer Series III that ya don't like that much....of course I'll take it off yer hands for ya *grins*. Now of course I also failed to mention the other sax setup I have. This one is that of my alto, permanent, with maybe a few modifications in the future. Armstrong Alto Conn Precision mouthpiece No-name ligiature (to be replaced by Selmer ligiature and cap someday soon) Frederick L. Hempke 3's I only use the tenor in the real gigs, but I still like that alto. And Jim, wow, you got quite a bit there now don't ya? Happy saxophoning!

Reply To Post

26. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Oh. I forgot to mention that I LOVE vintage Hammond organs. I have 4 of them all together! A C3, A 100, and 2 M3's and 4 Leslie speakers; 2 145's, an amplified 25 and a 122. I have an M3 and the Leslie 25 in my apartment! The M3 is the smaller Hammond spinet. The A 100 is in my parent's living room. It came out of a bar and was in horrible shape when I got it for $100! I cleaned it up, replaced a few tubes, and my friend Bob and his dad helped me refinish the cabinet in walnut. It looks better than brand new! The C3 is a little scuffed up, but this is the one that I take to the gigs occasionally. It's a lot like a B3. With the 2 Leslie 145's; one on each side of the stage, this baby will make your hair stand up! The other M3 needs some work.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

27. by YanagisawA-901
            (312 posts)

19 years ago

i dont wanna know how long it took you to get all that.. when u started.. how old u are now.. or about how much money u think uv put into all of that.. actually do.. lol please share all that My setup: haha same for jazz and legit, how pathetic.. Yani 901 Selmer S 80 C* Rovner Dark or stock lig.. trying to find a good reason to use one or the other Vandoren Java 3 1/2

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

28. by EAGLE_WISARD
            (8 posts)

17 years ago

your an animal jim ,,,,dont stop now got any off your own recordings

Reply To Post

29. by South Florida Sax
            (10 posts)

19 years ago

Definition, I play on a 130/0 M, but my tone isn't as bright as you might think. I just bought a '47 Conn 10M and realize I don't need such a powerful piece, as the horn can project more than the Buescher 400 I had been playing. I'm researching the duck bill, which I heard was like the vintage pieces. What do you feel are the differences with the vintage pieces?

Reply To Post

30. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

The bigges thing is the feel. The facings and baffles etc(when correct, the modern ones are kinda... yeah) are true to the origionals for the most part. Berg did some expirimenting over time, but thepieces are all pretty much the same more or less. Hope this helps ya!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

31. by SaxMan88
            (318 posts)

19 years ago

I need to ask you guys somethin'...not to get off topic. My band director and I have been goin back and forth at this for some time, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna listen to him, but I'd like some opinions. When I get my new tenor I was gonna get an Otto Link metal. But my director advised against it. His reason being that I do not have enough muscle control in the ombeshure to maintain a good sound. Pitch will be fine, but he says I have a hard enough time controlling sound on a rubber let alone on a metal. Now I have been playing since the 5th grade...so that's 6 years of playin experience (not just in concert band...but in jazz and wind ensemble as well). Do you fellas feel that is enough time to go by to permit the use of a metal? The band director recommends I wait another two years before I get it. I'd like some opinions. Thanx and happy saxophoning!

Reply To Post

32. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

Try some metal pieces out, you should be able to handle one if you've been playing for 6 years. I think your director is just wanting you to wait till you graduate basically, but you should be fine.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

33. by SaxMan88
            (318 posts)

19 years ago

Yea, I suppose it wouldn't hurt. Thanx for the advice. Some more would be great. Thanx!

Reply To Post

34. by mvspur
            (9 posts)

17 years ago

Soprano - LA SAX LA-650BB/Otto Link STM 5*/Rovner Light/Fibracell 2.5 Alto - Dave Guardala (B&S) DG402SP/Saxgourmet 80/Stock Lig/Fibracell 2.5 Tenor - Dave Guardala (B&S) DG500BN/Guardala Crescent/Stock Lig/Fibracell 2.5 Baritone - Saving pennies for Silver Plated Steve Goodson Model Bari. (You guys gotta play this horn, words can't do it justice!)

Reply To Post

35. by sultanofsax
            (31 posts)

17 years ago

Alto: "The" martin alto 1959 with dukoff d8 and candoren jazz reeds Tenor: Mk 7 selmer with dukoff d8 and vandoren jazz also.

Reply To Post

36. by Dark Eyes
            (138 posts)

17 years ago

My lessons teacher plays on a selmer mark VI sax (early years I believe). He also uses a Selmer C* mouthpiece and sounds absolutely wonderful. He has a great jazz sound. He also uses Java #4 reeds. I am always surprised at how versatile his tone can be with that C*. I have never had much luck with them. He is a jazz player through and through. Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

37. by eman19
            (131 posts)

16 years ago

Two Altos - Martin Comm II is my main and a Silver plated Martin Handcraft Imperial is my backup. Either a Meyer 5m with olegligature or a Brilhart Ebolin 6 with Vandoren Optimum. Vandoren ZZ 3's Tenor - Buescher Truetone from '28 with an Ottolink STM 8 and a Francois lig. Vandoren V16 3's or ZZ 3 1/2's.

Reply To Post

38. by sslavoix
            (32 posts)

16 years ago

sop. selmer lavoix (the voice) series rovner dark lig mpc a c* selmer for now hoping to get a 6* hr* jody jazz reed i use for concert and free playing a hemke size 4 and 3 1/2 for jazz a la voz medium hard to hard Alto-palm(some weird brand my parents bought without consulting me but i like it.it plays like a jupiter) -mpc c* selmer(wind ensemble)*high school* anyways a otto link super tone master 6 * for jazz a rovner dark lig and reeds hemke size 3 for ensemble and medium hard la voz for jazz this is sloppy oh well bari sax i dont feel like explaining too much but i play on the new yamaha ..............custom can't remember what its called because my teacher bought it for me mouthpiece the name is worn down so i cant see the name reeds vandoren size 3 and rovner hr lig

39. by sslavoix
            (32 posts)

16 years ago

sop. selmer lavoix (the voice) series rovner dark lig mpc a c* selmer for now hoping to get a 6* hr* jody jazz reed i use for concert and free playing a hemke size 4 and 3 1/2 for jazz a la voz medium hard to hard Alto-palm(some weird brand my parents bought without consulting me but i like it.it plays like a jupiter) -mpc c* selmer(wind ensemble)*high school* anyways a otto link super tone master 6 * for jazz a rovner dark lig and reeds hemke size 3 for ensemble and medium hard la voz for jazz this is sloppy oh well bari sax i dont feel like explaining too much but i play on the new yamaha ..............custom can't remember what its called because my teacher bought it for me mouthpiece the name is worn down so i cant see the name reeds vandoren size 3 and rovner hr lig

2. by amarae
          (3 posts)

16 years ago

Alto MRK VI 1956 Jody Jazz DV 8 Java or ZZ reeds. BG Lig. OR Rouseau JDX8 Classical SD80 Vandorens and a Rovner Dark Lig Tenor Series III Dukoff SPC D9 ZZ Reed Rovner Lite lig Or Java T75 and Optimum LIg Classical Scroll Shank C* Vandorens and a BG lig Will soon get a Jody DV or NYDV Soprano Yamaha Custom Vandoren S65mouth piece and BG lig and Rouseau Classical Looking for a metal piece for jazz.

Reply To Post

1. by azurealto
            (79 posts)

16 years ago

let me see... Rico Royal #2 reeds. Hermes mouthpiece, and honestly, i have no idea what type of lig.

Reply To Post

3. by stealth_swimmer
          (7 posts)

16 years ago

Super Action 80 Series III tenor saxophone Otto Link Super Tone Master 6* mouthpiece Rovner Mark III ligature size 3 V16 reeds or size 3 1\2 ZZ reeds

Reply To Post

1. by arcec
            (9 posts)

16 years ago

Selmer Super Action 80 II Tenor Link STM 6* Link ligature Yamaha YTS62 MrkII Tenor Link STM New York 6* Olegature ligature Java jazz reeds (all current production)

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
              (653 posts)

16 years ago

The Martin Alto otto link 6* hemke reeds, dont like them so im going to try alexanders rovner dark lig, but i hate the thing, going to try BG revalation YBS 52 berg-larson 120/1 alexander DC (black box) vandoren optimum lig

Reply To Post

1. by altissimo15
                (3 posts)

16 years ago

I basically only play alto for jazz. Selmer S500 Morgan 6m ( Selmer S80 C* for classical) Rovner Light (I just brought a Mark III but i don't like it) for Reeds. I just started with Alexander Superials and i think im going to stick with them. (i've tried- V16's, ZZ's, Blue Box, Rico Jazz) Im trying to get another lig.. and its between a FL Ultimate and an Olegatures.. Which do you think is the best, im just looking for something thats not going to alter the reeds movement and is free blowing.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by chalazon
                (547 posts)

16 years ago

try the van doren optima lig..I use one on alto and soprano and find them to be quite fine

Reply To Post

3. by chalazon
                (547 posts)

16 years ago

Yo, Namaste..dug you bio, bro...peace.

Reply To Post

4. by JBTSAX
                (364 posts)

16 years ago

Jazz set-ups include: Selmer 1950 SBA silver alto Ernie Northway custom mouthpiece Rovner ligature Yamaha 875 Custom silver tenor Ernie Northway custom mouthpiece Rovner ligature Conn 10 M original lacquer Brilhart Tonalin mouthpiece Standard metal ligature Buffet Evette-Sheaffer Apogee silver soprano Selmer C* mouthpiece Standard metal ligature

Reply To Post

5. by chalazon
                (547 posts)

16 years ago

wow! nice horns...I'm mildly jealous

Reply To Post

6. by kelsey
                (930 posts)

16 years ago

Selmer Mark Vl tenor with Gaurdala MBll mouthpiece. Rico Jazz 2m reeds. Selmer Mark Vl alto with NY meyers 6* mouthpiece. Rico Jazz 2m reeds. Haynes Flute made in 1948. Nord Electro ll 61 keyboard. Happy Trails.........Kelsey
                Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

7. by chalazon
                (547 posts)

16 years ago

Yanigasawa curved soprano..Selmer super soloist "F" mpc. Conn 6M alto..Barone "New York" #5 mpc. Yamaha YTS61 tenor..Otto Link 7* mpc Yamaha 481 flute with Drelinger gold head joint Trevor James alto flute with Michal Allen head joint

Reply To Post

2. by ryantmn
              (5 posts)

16 years ago

Alto: Yamaha 82z Gold plated G1 neck Mouthpiece: Either Morgan 7, Lakey 6*3, or Beechler Metalite 8 Ligature: Olegature, Selmer, Beechler Reeds: Vandoren ZZ 3, V16 2 1/2, 2 Depending on the situation I choose which mouthpiece, the Morgan is the warmest, and with the ZZ reeds, I can still get a nice buzzy Sanborn sound. The lakey is kinda bright, but I can still get a nice ballad sound. Same goes for the Beechler, only thing is the Beechler is very uncomfortable in my mouth.

Reply To Post

3. by chengccs
              (1 post)

16 years ago

My setup is this: Tenor: China Made Saxophone, Cheong's MPC (Gold plated) 0.115" (available at Saxquest now), Selmer silver ligature (for Alto), Vandoren ZZ 2.5. Soprano: Vito (Mark VI stencil), Cheong's MPC (Silver plated) 0.063" (available at Saxquest now), Selmer silver ligature (for Soprano), Vandoren Traditional 2.5 Alto: Weril, RPC 90R, BG L11 ligature, Vandoren Tradtional 2

Reply To Post

4. by krzykrn88
              (27 posts)

16 years ago

yamaha 62 alto sax. Yes, the old one. Morgan excalibur 6e with bonade or olegature selmer s90 with rovner dark (back up) either hemke, v16, or zz (3 1/2) very flexible, and bright, but edgy. ideal for funk and rnb. sometimes wish if upper reg was a lil bit open. Buffet R13, olegature, vandoren blue box, and selmer c85.

Reply To Post

1. by saxxsymbol
                (217 posts)

16 years ago

Saxgourmet Alto sax copper plate: Jody Jazz DV 7 mouthpiece, Ultimate ligature, fibracell reeds 2 1/2 Saxgourmet Tenor sax copper plate: jody Jazz DV 7 , Ultimate ligature, fibracell 2 1/2 reeds Steve Goodson Bari silver plate: Jody Jazz Classic 6, Rovner lig, fibracell 1 1/2 reeds I can't believe JBT doesn't play Cannoball..............

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
                  (653 posts)

16 years ago

i dont remember him talking about cannonball, except when people point out that he has some affiliation with cannonball. who are we to say what someone else plays?

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
                    (343 posts)

15 years ago

Soprano: Keilwerth SX90 Metal Selmer Soloist E Rico Jazz Select 3S Alto: Selmer SBA NY Meyer 8 Rico Jazz Select 3S Tenor: Selmer Mark VI 96xxx Wood Guardala... sorta like an MBII, also Vandoren Java T55 (a blue one) Rico Jazz Select 3S Baritone: King Super 20 Guardala Rico Jazz Select 2H Clarinet: Bb/A - Hans Moenig Custom made pair Kaspar Vandoren V12 4-4.5 Bass Clarinet: Selmer Low C Kaspar Vandoren V12 3.5-4 Piccolo: Haynes Grenadilla 1968 C Flute: Muramatsu DS Alto Flute: Powell Gold Plated 1964 Akai EWI 4000 Drums: Pearl Custom Zildijan Hybrid Ride and Hats, old no name crash Vic Firth Fransisco Mela signature

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
                    (343 posts)

15 years ago

o an my C Clarinet is a Buffet RC and my Eb clarinet is a newish R13

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
                    (930 posts)

15 years ago

I can't believe I wrote down my Jazz set up. Who cares. This is so silly.............Kelsey
                    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

4. by cuber
                    (653 posts)

15 years ago

"This is so silly" so spending time listening to what people, who for all you know are more ignorant than a politician, have to say about saxes isnt silly?

Reply To Post

5. by kelsey
                    (930 posts)

15 years ago

You are right Cuber. I've always wanted people to fill out their complete forum profile, of coarse some will lie, then we would know more about the people who write in this forum...............Kelsey
                    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

6. by jacobeid
                    (24 posts)

15 years ago

Alto: 118xxx Mark VI from Emilio Mouthpiece Cafe NY Meyer Bros 6 Hemke 3 Selmer 2-screw ligature Tenor: Yanagisawa T991 Brian Powell Long Shank Soloist (.105) Vandoren Java 3 1/2 or RJS 3H Francois Louis Brass Ligature I also have a Barone Jazz 7* on the way...

Reply To Post

7. by wkusax87
                    (12 posts)

15 years ago

Cannonball Alto (big bell global [pro model]) black nickel, gold keys. I use the nickel neck. Selmer Super Session D Vandoren Java 3's Optimum ligature. School owned Yamaha Custom Z tenor (not a yamaha fan) Otto Link 5* Vandoren Java 3's

Reply To Post

8. by IanM06
                    (4 posts)

15 years ago

Alto: Selmer MarkVI Morgan Excalibur M7 -Vandoren Java 3 1/2 Selmer C* -Vandoren 3 Tenor: King Super 20 Ponzol Brass M2 110 -Vandoren Java 2 1/2 Morgan Excalibur -Vandoren Java 3 - 3 1/2 And a box of Dunhill Lights.

Reply To Post

9. by IanM06
                    (4 posts)

15 years ago

Oh, and Vandoren Master, Francois Louis, and Rovner (temporarily) ligs.

Reply To Post

10. by chalazon
                    (547 posts)

15 years ago

I think it's very cool that there is a post on this thread from Sonny Rollins from a few years back...I've ruined a few reeds trying to burn them..I guess I was lighting the wrong end.

Reply To Post

11. by cuber
                    (653 posts)

15 years ago

that was the actual Sonny Rollins? i didnt realize he played a yani, always thought it was a selmer

Reply To Post

12. by kelsey
                    (930 posts)

15 years ago

That's not the real Sonny Rollins. Don't burn any reeds on his account! Man, I hate to add anything to this jive thread but since my real name is Charlie Parker, I felt that I needed to clear this up...................Kelsey
                    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

13. by chalazon
                    (547 posts)

15 years ago

I tried that burning reeds thing.....they plugged up my pipe.....

Reply To Post

14. by cuber
                    (653 posts)

15 years ago

*notices sarcasm from several posts ago*

Reply To Post

15. by tamburello22
                    (1 post)

15 years ago

Alto Buffet 400 Series (Matte finish) Selmer S80 C* silver Francois Louis Ultimate lig Vandoren Java 3's

Reply To Post