Saxophone Forum

by vintage-markVI
(12 posts)
20 years ago

DAVE MATTHEWS BAND

what do you guys think of dave's sax player leroi moore? i personally think he is awesome...he has such a laid back style that isn't just hardcore jazz or anything...its so diverse i can't really explain it. so yeah let me know what you think of him....i have my opinion but want to hear yours...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by dmb_06
    (3 posts)

20 years ago

Re: DAVE MATTHEWS BAND

well...Spottspidermunki, it'll be like...15 dollars...you aren't losing too much and its leroi fricken moore man! try it anyways! im gonna order it soon...i saw it on daves website the other day and plan to buy it shortly. also, everybody's talking about how his other instrumental talents go unnoticed...thats not true. we just enjoy his sax abilities much more than flute because we like the saxophone sound more because we are on a saxophone website...so we're not here to talk about a flute. he taught himself a lot but also had a lot of experience playing in night clubs, that's how he and dave came together...dave heard him at the bar he was a bartender at.....he had a lot of solo work which helped a lot with his career

Reply To Post

2. by Spike
    (248 posts)

20 years ago

haha, i love leroi, what a dude. he always puts the notes in the right places. he should comp on guitar for a jazz combo. listen to his bari stuff, that's the best. he can blow on that thing. P.S. Two Step is a really good song.

Reply To Post

1. by spottspidermunki
      (55 posts)

20 years ago

oh my gosh. leRoi is awesome. i swear, hes crazy. he can really solo, and he also knows when to back down, which is a somewhat rare trait for sax players. whats even more impressive is that he arranges alot of the DMB songs. hes really really versatile. sometimes in shows he'll play all 4 saxes one right after another, and hes perfectly in tune. i wish i could do that. i personally think he defines the style that an aspiring saxist is going to have to play to make a living. ah man i completely agree w/ the statement on his bari playing. its insane. listen to "all along the watchtower" off the folsom field album. thats some impressive altissimo work, and in one cut too.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

20 years ago

Leroi bothers me on a lot of live tracks, though. SEVERE intonation problems on a lot of his live work...

Reply To Post

1. by vintage-markVI
          (12 posts)

20 years ago

oh ok...yeah right...you must be listening to a different dave matthews band

Reply To Post

2. by Jazzer1215
        (1 post)

20 years ago

I like alot of the stuff he does. Some of it just doesn't work for me, though. However, I think his bari work is some of the best I've ever heard. His solo in "Too much" has got to be my favorite, I can't get enough funk.

Reply To Post

3. by Spunky2sax75
        (75 posts)

20 years ago

I think Leroi is AWESOME. I`m only 14 and I was exposed to him a lot when I was younger, so he is part of the reason I decided to play sax. I love his style and I love that he switches from alto to tenor to bari to soprano a lot. He never sticks with one horn, and that is a very respectably aspect of a sax player. My goal in like is to become half as good as him, thats how amazing he is. Theres never "Too Much" when its Leroi. (I love the bari solo in "Too Much" too, I learned it last year)

Reply To Post

4. by dmb_06
        (3 posts)

20 years ago

Leroi Moore is one of the best sax players I've ever heard play. I bought all his riffs for dave matthews and they are extremely hard. He and the band are so extremely close together they know what the other will do before they do it. Their live stuff is unbelievable. I am convinced Leroi is a GOD...

Reply To Post

1. by spottspidermunki
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

lerois stuff is somewhat difficult, but not impossible. he is very comfortable in the lower altissimo. he plays inside and outside the key sig. the thing is that one's improv is difficult for another to mimic. my improv is easy to me, but is hard for others to grasp, typically. its just the way he thinks is so much different than others. what looks difficult on paper he just does. when u don't get hung up w/ paper, harder stuff seems easier, cuz ur creating it. u don't have to worry about sounding like something, or whether or not ur playing it right. and he messes up in concert, u just can't tell. if u mess up and r hesitant, then people know. but if u mess up and really play it, then people accept that as truth. leroi is crazy good. he really is the original of that genre. enjoy the DMB. 8-4-04 baby. antioch TN. its gonna be sweet Joel

Reply To Post AIM

1. by mr. freakjar
            (11 posts)

20 years ago

man, i'm surprised no one mentioned leroi's flute playing! that's what impresses me the most now. everybody's got to realize the importance of doubling! Leroi was my first influence (even before bird when i was 13). He and I go way back. I can't really say anything bad about him, he's my cat.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by spottspidermunki
              (55 posts)

20 years ago

i agree about the flute playing. during the central park concert i believe he had an alto or bass clarinet on stage w/ him also. he can play way more instruments than people give him credit for. i would be curious to know where he was trained, and what degree he holds. Joel

Reply To Post AIM

2. by mr. freakjar
              (11 posts)

20 years ago

i'm not sure if he holds a degree.. i remember reading somewhere that he just grew up with carter beauford and played bebop with him and his brother...i think he learned a lot on his own...like a lot of the older cats in the 50s did

Reply To Post AIM

3. by spottspidermunki
              (55 posts)

20 years ago

thanx for the tip. he has said that he was classically trained, but to what measure i don't know. hes probably been trained to some extent, b/c of the amount of instruments he plays, although he does play sax lines and phrasing on the flute, so its hard to tell. have u by any chance purchased the carter/leroi CD? i'm jus curious to know if its any good. i would believe it would be, but i don't want to order it and not really know. i might just have to take a chance tho. Joel

Reply To Post AIM

4. by mr. freakjar
              (11 posts)

20 years ago

no, i didn't even know the duo cd existed. i'd be interested in checking it out, though.

Reply To Post AIM

5. by spottspidermunki
              (55 posts)

20 years ago

its on the DMB website somewhere, but i doubt a digital download is available. i'll check it out as soon as i have surplus funds. Joel

Reply To Post AIM