Saxophone Forum

by [email protected]
(10 posts)
20 years ago

One-handed saxes

I've just been looking at 'Cybersax' and they are featuring a Conn mezzo-soprano built in the 1920's for a player who lost his left arm in WW1. I wonder if anyone has come across any other examples. I saw Roland Kirk in the 1970's after he had the stroke and he was playing his tenor with his left hand only - that got me thinking, his tenor was obviously always designed to be played one-handed. When he was playing three horns at once he played the full range of the tenor while playing chords with the other two saxes. Does anyone know of any other one armed saxophone players?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: One-handed saxes

Uh, no, he probably only had his sax modified, I have heard of a few others that have had saxes modified to do that.

Reply To Post

2. by MusicMedic
    (5 posts)

20 years ago

There was a very well made one handed sax at the world sax congress last year. Someone here must remember the gentleman that was displaying it. Curt Altarac www.MusicMedic.com

Reply To Post

3. by Waltr
    (1 post)

14 years ago

Yes there is a one handed sax player a fellow who had a Stroke who had quite a talent found someone to craft a sax for him;he's quite good!Lives in either of 2 towns/cities Bloomfield,CT or Hartford,CT,I know him but lost contact,if need be I can find him,we both had Strokes,I'm a singer ex singer,Ken Carter sax player hes around go thru Hartford Jazz Society in CT!Someone will know him.Kens probably 70-75,real nice fellow a delightful man!Again Ken Carter Hartford area in Connecticut Maybe Bloomfield CT

Reply To Post

4. by KennyBee
    (4 posts)

13 years ago

I saw Dr. Nabb from the University of Nebraska - Kearney do a demo of his one-handed alto sax at the 2010 U.S. Navy Band Sax Symposium. I was amazed. Dr. Nabb is inspiring. Go to the 2 links below. One of them has a Youtube link for you to hear him play for yourself. www.e-bility.com/articles/one-handed-woodwind-musicians.php www-classes.usc.edu/engr/engr/102/28517/projects/one-handed-saxophone

Reply To Post